Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate Chiller: I'm in love!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #21
SankePankey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Cool. Thanks very much for the explanation.

So, looking at say the Medium 20 and Small 40 since they are pretty close in surface area... If you are doing a recirculating plate chill like I will be, you will get better performance out of a higher flow unit like the Small 40. With a straight into primary method, you'd be better off with the Medium 20 since it's actually more efficient.

With the former, the higher flow would make up for the less efficiency. Right? (Lets assume, as in my case, 5 gallons per minute on both hot and cold.) Anyhoo, can't wait to try it for myself when she gets here.!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
duda
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankePankey View Post
Cool. Thanks very much for the explanation.

So, looking at say the Medium 20 and Small 40 since they are pretty close in surface area... If you are doing a recirculating plate chill like I will be, you will get better performance out of a higher flow unit like the Small 40. With a straight into primary method, you'd be better off with the Medium 20 since it's actually more efficient.

With the former, the higher flow would make up for the less efficiency. Right? (Lets assume, as in my case, 5 gallons per minute on both hot and cold.) Anyhoo, can't wait to try it for myself when she gets here.!
It's really going to depend on the application. if you're running high flow rates, those extra plates will be better off than having a longer unit with fewer plates.

if you take a look at my wort chilling performance chart,http://www.dudadiesel.com/files/wortchart.pdf, you'll find the medium 20 palte (B3-23A 20 plate) is 50% better than the small 40 plate. So with such a higher performance rating, that slight drop in pressure on the cold fluid is not going to hinder the performance enough to where it's better to use the one with less restriction. In the case of gaining 50% more heat transfer, it will take some serious flow reduction before this matters much, so the longer one is definitely better.

To put some numbers into perspective for you, using 5 gpm on the small 40 plate has a pressure drop of 0.5 psi. the medium 20 plate is 3 psi drop. Both numbers are very small amounts. I'd need to bust out some engineering data to find the actual flow loss from this, but it's not much at all.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #23
Robcl
Recipes 

Hi. I am using a Duda 30 plate chiller and it brings my wort to 68 deg in about 8 minutes (no recirculating, gravity fed). I was wondering if the orientation of the exchanger had an impact on cooling? Is there a best side up? Thanks!

Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #24
mccabedoug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Guys,

I just bought the 30-plate chiller from Keg Cowboy.

Before I head off to Home Depot this week I gotta ask what you used to hook it up regarding tubing IDs, expecially the ID of the tubing for the wort. Naively I assume that if you pass the wort through the unit slowly (smaller ID tubing) AND the cold water is passing through at a much higher rate, the wort will be cooled quicker.

Also, did you use quick disconnects on all 4 connections?

FYI, I am planning on using gravity only at first (for the wort) as I have no pumps (or desire to use them at this time).

Thanks.

Quick Reply