Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate Chiller In Ice Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
jhalloran
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default Plate Chiller In Ice Water?

Hi,

I'm expecting delivery of a 40-plate chiller today and was wondering if submerging it in an ice water bath during recirculation would have any affect on reducing cooling times. I figured that combining the functionality of a pre-chiller and a plate chiller in one device would be cool.

Pointless? Brilliant? Waste of time? Meh? You decide! Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It will help, this coming from experience. That said, it does not provide the same exchange ratio as if this were an immersion chiller that had wort passed through it dipped in an ice bath.

And I hate to even bring it up. But doubly make sure you are flushing your plate chiller clean.

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
jhalloran
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Thank you for the advice!

So to back flush, I was thinking that I would just boil some water in my BK after cleaning it out and pump it through in the
opposite direction of the wort chilling. Is that the correct way to do it?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 518 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 2795

I back-flush, forward-flush, soak a bit with PBW then flush it out again.

On brew day, I flush it out one last time, then circulate hot wort through it during the last 5 minutes of the boil

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.
jhalloran Likes This 
Old 10-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Submerging in ice water will help, but it's the sides of each plate that's touching ice water and the top/bottom. Many times that is just touching the hose water. More worth it to me to have the chiller mounted to my stand than floating in a bucket, but I can see why you might.

For cleaning, you want to flush it backwards and forward, but you have to use a cleaner. Recirculating with a pump is best, but even a good soak with a cleaner will help a lot. Star San is not a cleaner. A proper bake at the right time and temp will kill everything in there, but best to not have to kill a bunch of mold each time. Trying to sanitize with Star San with any kind of debris in there will never fully sanitized.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A better solution is to buy a submersible pump (like $15, Harbor Freight or Amazon) and use to to run ice water through the plate chiller once your tap water has taken the wort down to the mid-high 70s. This will get you down to pitching temps in no time. Also helps if you have especially high ground water temps.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmick View Post
A better solution is to buy a submersible pump (like $15, Harbor Freight or Amazon) and use to to run ice water through the plate chiller once your tap water has taken the wort down to the mid-high 70s. This will get you down to pitching temps in no time. Also helps if you have especially high ground water temps.
I do the same thing but start at 100F. Everyone's groundwater is temp is different though, so everyone's temperature at which the progress seems to stop will be different. Start recircing with the ice water whatever that temperature is for you.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 104 batches and counting (as of 12/19/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Quick Reply