New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate Chiller efficiency problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
midnightbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Plate Chiller efficiency problem

I have a pump-fed 40-plate chiller on my brewstand, and it took me 90 minutes to get my 10-gal batch down to 85 degrees at a trickle.

I've gotta be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

groundwater is 55-60 degrees year-round here, and I've set up a recirc for the cooling water, adding ice for my most recent batch. cooling water was never higher than 65 degrees, but I couldn't cool efficiently at all. very frustrating.

in the photo, you can see the setup, the trickle of wort at 85 degrees.

ball valve coming off the pump before the chiller restricts the flow. I recirculate/whirlpool for 15 minutes after knockout, then turn things into the carboys.

any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Make sure you're chill water is going the opposite direction. Also, you should try to restrict AFTER the chiller. Restricting before means you have a trickle going through and much of the surface area in the chiller isn't touching wort. By restricting after the chiller, the entire chiller is full of wort.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'd agree to make sure your cooling water is flowing opposite the wort flow. In your pic, that would mean your cooling water should enter the top. I used my Therminator today and it was a dream, 6 gallons pumped through at almost full flow. Took about 5 minutes to chill to 66*. I wish we had groundwater this cool year round!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
twofieros
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't restrict the cooling water. I run it almost full speed but the wort is restricted until I get the temp I'm looking for.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Why are you not recirculating the cooled wort back in to the kettle? That'll improve hop flavor / aroma.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
midnightbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

thanks for the feedback. The water is flowing correctly, unrestricted. I am indeed recirculating wort back to the kettle for 20-30 minutes (depends on beer type) after knockout. I will move a ball valve post-chiller and see if that helps. don't know how I haven't thought of that yet!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
brick_haus
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm new at this but it seems to me that you have a problem with your setup. I have a blichman plate chiller and gravitate my wort directly into the fermenters, through the chiller, immediatly after the boil. Ball valve wide open, 10 minutes, 75*F. This works best when the wort is actually going into the "in" port. I tried it the other way the first time

Quick Reply