Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate chiller cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
baer19d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plate chiller cleaning

What's the best way to clean a plate style wort chiller? I have a Shirron wort chiller which I pump hot soapy water and sanitizer through after I'm finished brewing but there's a thin layer of something or a stain on the inside that I'd like to remove. Is there a solution that I can run through it? Baking soda maybe?
Thanks, Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think some folks actually bake 'em in the oven to get all the gunk dislodged and then flush with pbw/oxiclean

Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I flush it every way with hot PBW and before use I cook it in a pressure canner. That nukes everyting.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
TalonBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

And the high temps in the canner don't hurt it?

I've had junk stuck in mine and had some infected beers, so I'm hesitant to use it until I'm sure it's really clean. I"ve soaked and soaked with PBW and LLC (a caustic cleaner) but I can still get flakes the size of glitter out. I'd like to try the pressure cooker method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I flush it every way with hot PBW and before use I cook it in a pressure canner. That nukes everyting.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I had been recirculating cold PBW through mine multiple cycles every time and it would always come out at least some shade of green. The last few batches I've recirculated 180 degree PBW and 180 degree sodium hydroxide. Rinse, PBW, rinse, Sodium Hydroxide, rinse. Water that comes out after that has been perfectly clear. Make sure you switch the flow so it goes through the chiller both ways for each step.

I've heard that baking and pressure cooking you need to watch out for the teflon tape sealing the pipe threads, but I haven't done this. It's possible that that was only if you run it through the cleaning cycle on the oven.

Simply baking or pressure cooking will not hurt the plate chiller itself.

Quick Reply