Recipes 

Keep us posted on your progress.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #22
DAAB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The problem with plate chillers is not so much cleaning but keeping out any hop debris. Once you let some get in there you'll be flushing forever trying to get it out (and use gallons of water in the process).

My original solution was to construct a hop back but in the mean time I was planning on using hop bags although they aren't ideal no matter how big they are. Just before I was about to brew today I came up with this solution. It worked perfectly although it doesn't look particularly impressive...

(there's a copper hop strainer under/inside the hop bag).

Last edited by DAAB; 10-11-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 AM   #23
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

How would it work with pellet hops?

This has been great at separating the hops for me. I plan to switch to a plate chiller soon. I don't think I'll be having any problems.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #24
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
How would it work with pellet hops?
If I were to use pellets, i'd use the same method except use a bag/material that didn't allow the pellet debris through, much the same as the example above except the pellets are still allowed complete freedom of movement around the kettle improving flavour, utilization and protein coagulation.

Using large grain bags to contain hops is nothing new, they've been used over here since the resurgence of the homebrew movement in the late 60's early 70's.

Although they do allow the hops greater freedom of movement than the example you have shown above due to the wider top opening, they still aren't an ideal solution as they can billow with the rising currents, restricting freedome of movement of the hops and reducing protein coagulation, (The problem with reduced utilization can be solved though by using more hops)

By the way, be careful not to catch yourself on those four pieces of stud bar sticking out

Last edited by DAAB; 10-12-2007 at 07:57 AM.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #25
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

That bag is HUGE - 18" long and much wider than the coupler it's clamped to. I don't think the hops are restricted from rolling around in the boil. I would be very surprised if there was any appreciable drop in utilization.

Are you saying that that you use the bucket with a hop bag (in the pic) as a way to filter the hops before you run it through the plate chiller? Or is that bucket what you boil in?

Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #26
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
That bag is HUGE - 18" long and much wider than the coupler it's clamped to. I don't think the hops are restricted from rolling around in the boil. I would be very surprised if there was any appreciable drop in utilization.

Are you saying that that you use the bucket with a hop bag (in the pic) as a way to filter the hops before you run it through the plate chiller? Or is that bucket what you boil in?
I guess it's not that clear,

this is a fairly widely used hop filter used for whole leaf hops (in the UK)

they are great for whole leaf hops as they hold back the bulk while the hops themselves form a filter holding back most but not all of the finer particulate. (normally this doesn't matter if you are using an immersion or cfc).
All I have done is stick a muslin hop bag over the the filter ie the filter is now inside the bag.

this holds back all the hop seeds and fine particulate which might have got through the original filter which is only some copper tube with loads of holes in. The hop bag is held in place with copper wire.

The picture you can see with the two kettle elements with a hop bag secured around the copper hop strainer is the boiler I use for boiling the wort. The finer mesh of the muslin holds back the hops but without actually restricting them.

btw I know those hop bags a big, but they aren't held open in any way so they wont necessarily fill the entire volume of the boiler. Even the bags I mention later on which have the neck secured around the boiler restrict the movement of the hops to an extent (it happens to be shown in a fermenter in the picture shown but it's the same principal)

Last edited by DAAB; 10-12-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #27
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Interesting thread. Any update on the initial thread, the plate chiller? Even if you get a patent, some one could potentially still make them and sell them cheaper than you. What I'm saying is that a patent is still no protection; it makes your invention legal and will provide you some financial settlements if you can prove that someone violated your patent. It also makes your invention design public, meaning anyone can copy and sell for less. I have a patent and that is what happened. They are nice, but not what they are cracked up to be. They also cost a lot.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 AM   #28
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
I'll be following this with much interest!
Me too, I like the sound of easily cleanable. S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 12-26-2007, 02:32 AM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Nice thread revival there. The Minex10 is already on the market and it's $1000. If you can do it for $200, great but why do you think you can undercut your next competitor enough to make it worth it? I don't know what the Minex4 cost but I'd imagine it was more than the market it was intended for could bear.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 12-26-2007 at 02:35 AM.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #30
mrbowenz

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not wanting to hijack any potential patents or ideas, but I just bought two of these, the transaction went perfectly, and the quality is superior. This chiller is 33% more efficient than the Therminator, and 66% more efficient than a Shiron chiller at less than half the price.

enjoy !

I have nothing to do with this company or seller, just lucky enought to have found them..

http://cgi.ebay.com/UL-Certified-30-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply