New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plastic stir spoon smell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
brevity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Plastic stir spoon smell

I'm a new homebrewer and inherited some of my equipment from a friend. I've been using a plastic stir spoon that has Fermenthaus stamped on it, looks like this
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/24-stirring-spoon-plastic.html
One thing I noticed while boiling just water and removing the spoon from it, is that it smells very much like plastic or rubber. Not the water or the pot, but if I put my nose up to the spoon and smell.
Is there a chance this could lead to off-flavors in my beer? Should I ditch it for a stainless steel stir spoon?

I figure a brand like 'Fermenthaus' it's gotta be designed with brewing in mind but I want to make sure I'm good to keep this thing in my boil kettle.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As a general rule, if there's a smell/ taste/ look to some component of your beer or brewing that makes you hesitate, you shouldn't use it in your beer. However if it were me and the water stirred with the spoon smelled and tasted fine I would use the spoon. Pretty helpless answer, isn't it? Kyle

Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

the spoon costs $3.99? If I was even the least bit hesitant (which I am when using anything plastic with hot liquids), then I would ditch it immediately and grab something stainless. You may not be tasting any off-flavors but there can still be toxic and carcinogenic chemicals being released into your beer from plastics. If I were you I would drop the $10 or less needed for a basic metal spoon.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
As a general rule, if there's a smell/ taste/ look to some component of your beer or brewing that makes you hesitate, you shouldn't use it in your beer. However if it were me and the water stirred with the spoon smelled and tasted fine I would use the spoon. Pretty helpless answer, isn't it? Kyle
Well I get what you're saying. I didn't notice the water smelling different at all.

Quote:
the spoon costs $3.99? If I was even the least bit hesitant (which I am when using anything plastic with hot liquids), then I would ditch it immediately and grab something stainless. You may not be tasting any off-flavors but there can still be toxic and carcinogenic chemicals being released into your beer from plastics. If I were you I would drop the $10 or less needed for a basic metal spoon.
Solid logic. I think I'll do that.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you can smell it then there is something leaching from it. If it is marked "China" you can be sure you have NO idea what plastic and other crap is in it.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think its odd that most stir spoons I see online are made of plastic. What is the standard preference on these forums?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 58

i've also heard that because plastic can harbor bacteria, anything more than a year old should be replaced. I inherited a bunch of stuff when I started to brew, spoon, tubing, airlocks etc... for the price...just get a new one, not worth the chance.

Quick Reply