Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plastic fermenters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Plastic fermenters

Im doing an odd size batch that requires a smaller fermenter. I have a 3.5 gallon bucket that has the number 5 on the bottom with PP under it, whereas my normal plastic fermenting bucket has the number 2 with HDPE stamped on it. Is this bucket safe for fermenting with? Due to lack of space this would be sitting for 3 weeks, then straight to the keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

I just found out the pp stands for polypropylene if that helps.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think the general consenses is that it's too gas permeable for storage that long. You can use just about anything for the 1 week it's in the primary IMHO but after that you need something that will keep the O2 out.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
I think the general consenses is that it's too gas permeable for storage that long. You can use just about anything for the 1 week it's in the primary IMHO but after that you need something that will keep the O2 out.
That sucks. I guess I could go 7 days then keg it.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think the 02 permeability question comes in after at least a month. I would not be worried. I would be far more concerned with what was previously in the bucket.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
earlytimes
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm still new to this, but why can't you use your normal (assuming larger) fermenter? The CO2 produced should push out all the oxygen in the extra headspace.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2773 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon View Post
I think the 02 permeability question comes in after at least a month. I would not be worried. I would be far more concerned with what was previously in the bucket.
I agree, the permeability issues is one of those brewing bogeymen...If you're going to ferment in 10-14 days time I wouldn't worry about it, even a month. You're not talking longeterm storage here, just the normal course of fermentation.

The bigger concern (and only slightly bigger) is what the container had in it before hand....If it was food (like frosting or something) you'll be fine, if it was roach powder, then you'd be in trouble.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

The bucket is brand spanking new, I only bought for this one time brew, so I was hoping it would work. I normally use glass for fermenters, but im running short and this one needs to sit on the freezer hump so I needed a low profile bucket.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2773 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
The bucket is brand spanking new, I only bought for this one time brew, so I was hoping it would work. I normally use glass for fermenters, but im running short and this one needs to sit on the freezer hump so I needed a low profile bucket.
Does it already have a grommeted hole for an airlock? If not you can pick one of them up at a hardware store...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
web250
Recipes 

I think the general consensus is a plastic labeled 1 or 2 is the best. And that 7 or unmarked should definately be avoided.

Put it this way: just go pick up another bucket/lid/airlock for $20 or whatever, instead of risking losing a batch

Upcoming: None
Primary: Steam Beer
Conditioning: None
Drinking: Oktoberfest, Blonde Ale

Quick Reply