Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plastic contaminated?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
schwibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plastic contaminated?

I was talking with a guy working at my LHBS and was asking him why I can't get a good batch of beer that doesn't seem contaminated and he informed me that if any of my plastic gets contaminated it will get any other plastic that touches the contamination and make it contaminated as well. He said I would need to replace pretty much all of my plastic and hoses any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You could first try firebombing as we call it everything with Bleach.....But are you sure you're beer is contaminated, or are you just tasting green beer and thinking it is infected, when in reality, like many new brewers, you sample it too young?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You said 'seems' contaminated. When it is contaminated, you will know. You may have off flavors due to your process, rather than contamination. Give all of your equipment a good soak in some oxiclean, and in the meantime tell us how you brew.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Plastics can get contaminated through scratches that harbor bacteria that sanitizer cannot reach effectively. Plastic to plastic contact will not contaminate other pieces of equipment. If you are having issues with infected beer, consider a new bucket (and new airlock and stopper if it makes you feel better) and maybe upgrade your sanitizer. What are you using? Star San is pretty popular and very effective.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
schwibbidy
Recipes 

I use starsan after I wash everything in PBW and have done 3 batches so far.

My first batch was sour and definitely contaminated because even 8 months later the beer was sour and undrinkable. My second batch I followed Palmers book to a T and I believe I did have the "green beer" taste because I sampled too early but even after 4-5 weeks later there still was a sour/acidic taste which I've been reading could have been from me steeping my grains in boiling water instead of 150-160 degree water.

I just got a brand new pot and spigots and did a batch this weekend for a stout. Everything is new so far that I've used except for the carboy, stopper and airlock which are still old equipment from the first two batches. I'm going to use the old equipment for the rest of the process and see if it is an equipment issue

Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwibbidy View Post

My first batch was sour and definitely contaminated because even 8 months later the beer was sour and undrinkable. My second batch I followed Palmers book to a T and I believe I did have the "green beer" taste because I sampled too early but even after 4-5 weeks later there still was a sour/acidic taste which I've been reading could have been from me steeping my grains in boiling water instead of 150-160 degree water.
No offense, but if you followed his book to a T you wouldn't be steeping grains in boiling water. We need more detail about what you do in your process (step by step), fermentation temperatures, etc.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:

I just got a brand new pot and spigots and did a batch this weekend for a stout. Everything is new so far that I've used except for the carboy, stopper and airlock which are still old equipment from the first two batches. I'm going to use the old equipment for the rest of the process and see if it is an equipment issue
Since it sounds like you had an infection with your first batch, do NOT use any of that hardware without either bleach bombing it, or replacing it. Otherwise, your new batch will follow the same path as the others. A sour/acidic taste after 4-5 weeks is either infection or serious over-carbonation. If it's not bottled yet, then it's most likely also infected.

You have to decide, do you want to continue to make beers you cannot drink (wasting money) or nut-up and replace the hardware that's been compromised? IMO, the cheaper/better/more certain way is to replace the hardware.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
schwibbidy
Recipes 

So how do I know which is compromised? Should I just replace every plastic piece as well as hoses? I just got a brand new stainless brew kettle, which is one of the things I won't replace

Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
So how do I know which is compromised? Should I just replace every plastic piece as well as hoses? I just got a brand new stainless brew kettle, which is one of the things I won't replace
Anything post boil, in plastic, would be suspect IMO. This includes hoses, fermenting vessels, bottling buckets, autosiphon/racking canes, etc. Unless you KNOW at what step the batch was infected, you can't trust any of it. So, either bleach bomb everything or replace it all.

I hate the smell of bleach to the extent that I would simply toss it all and get new. Luckily, the amount of plastics I use for my batches is extremely low. The majority is either stainless or silicone. So I can use heat/steam to sterilize things, if I ever needed to. Although I would probably only do that with the fermenting vessels and just toss out the rest. Cheap enough to replace some tubing (~2') and even a pair of QD's.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 70

There is another option for hdpe plastic parts and vinyl hose. HDPE buckets can withstand boiling water, so fill it with boiling water, put the lid on, and let it cool before moving it or dumping it. It will melt an autosiphon though...I've since incorporated a bleach bomb into my plastics every few batches, but will sanitize plastics again with boiling water if I ever have another infection.

Fermenter 4: Beer
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply