Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > plastic bucket vs glass carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Wheat King
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default plastic bucket vs glass carboy

i KNOW this must have been discussed before...in fact i think i may have read a thread covering the subject, but after much searching i can't find the answers i want.

right now i only have 1 fermenting bucket. for my next batch, i thought i'd try getting a secondary fermenter. what advantage does a glass carboy have over a plastic bucket??? and if i end up with my original plastic bucket and a glass carboy, which should be my primary and which my secondary?? any help and explanations is greatly appreciated!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
myersn024
Recipes 

I have a plastic bucket I use as a primary and a glass carboy that I use for secondary. If you get a glass carboy for a secondary, it needs to be a 5 or 5.5 gallon one. If you get it for primary, it needs to be a 6.5 gallon one. A 6.5 gallon one can be used for secondary, but some say that there is too much head space which can cause oxidation of your beer.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Bucket for primary, carboy for secondary. That way, you can use the bucket for priming & bottling.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I use a bucket for the primary (easier to clean) and one of the plastic Better Bottles for the clearing tank/secondary. My Better Bottle has a spigot, so I bottle/keg straight from there!

Old 08-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
Wheat King

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Bucket for primary, carboy for secondary. That way, you can use the bucket for priming & bottling.
i have a bottling bucket with a spigot as well.

so its just a fact that glass carboys > plastic buckets?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersn024
I have a plastic bucket I use as a primary and a glass carboy that I use for secondary. If you get a glass carboy for a secondary, it needs to be a 5 or 5.5 gallon one. If you get it for primary, it needs to be a 6.5 gallon one. A 6.5 gallon one can be used for secondary, but some say that there is too much head space which can cause oxidation of your beer.
I use a 5- gallon carboy as a primary quite a bit. I only have one 6.5 gallon carboy, so I use both for primaries when I make a ten-gallon batch (like this weekend, if I'm not working.....) Just put on a blowoff tube, and no worries.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply