Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plastic Ball Valve: Will It Melt During a Boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Plastic Ball Valve: Will It Melt During a Boil?

So, despite the issues we had with the pelletized hops yesterday, I was thoroughly impressed with Dude's plate chiller/march pump setup. Thing is, I don't want to have to buy/build a keggle. I have a 15 gallon aluminum kettle, but no spigot. I also have a 50L stainless mash tun that someone gave me awhile back. It's got a false bottom, and has a spigot welded into it:

It's hard to see, but the ball valve is made of hard plastic. I have no idea what kind of heat it's rated for, though. But if I were to try to set this up for a march pump/shirron assembly, I'd want to use the stainless kettle as the boil vessel. What do you think? Will the heat from the boil melt the valve?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ball valves are cheap, just get a brass one for under $10.

Having said that, if you make sure there is no heat washing up the front of the kettle you will probably be OK. Set a piece of sheet metal across the front to deflect heat. I do this to keep the handles from melting anyway.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Me thinks it will. Of course, I'd not care to find out either. Murphy would be sure to keep it intact right up to the point that everything is at a nice rolling boil and then "woosh".

Can the p[lastic not be removed and replaced with an inexpensive brass valve from the hardware store?

Of course, now that I have written that I realize taht even a brass or stainless valve has a plastic bushing for the ball to rotate in so......

Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You don't have to have a valve to use a pump/plate chiller, just use a SS racking cane or similar to get the wort after you have whirlpooled and let it rest for 20 minutes or so.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
You don't have to have a valve to use a pump/plate chiller, just use a SS racking cane or similar to get the wort after you have whirlpooled and let it rest for 20 minutes or so.
I don't like the idea of my wort sitting near boiling for that long...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply