Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pipe Dope

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
archthered
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Pipe Dope

My amazing and wonderful wife got me a 10 gal 1.2 Megapot with ball valve and thermometer for Christmas. According to the directions I need to put Teflon tape on the threads. Is there any reason I can't just use pipe dope I have from the bathroom? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Tinhorn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Don't know but Teflon tape is Inexpensive and recommended by manufacturer so would probably follow their instructions

Very nice gift and vey nice wife

You could be walking around lucky and not even know it

Old 12-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Domantori
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhorn
don't know but teflon tape is inexpensive and recommended by manufacturer so would probably follow their instructions very nice gift and vey nice wife
+1

Old 12-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
northcal
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Isn't pipe dope for non potable water?

I'd use either teflon tape or teflon paste.

good luck,

Old 12-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Onkel_Udo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archthered View Post
My amazing and wonderful wife got me a 10 gal 1.2 Megapot with ball valve and thermometer for Christmas. According to the directions I need to put Teflon tape on the threads. Is there any reason I can't just use pipe dope I have from the bathroom? Thanks.
"What whetting agent is used in the dope? Do you want it in your beer?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Teflon is non-leaching. At least, it leaches so low that it's almost negligible. If you were to use dope, I would make sure it's food grade; and AFAIK most "food grade" dope is for plastic, not SS; SS pipes make a mechanical seal.

To be honest, the pipe threads we use in brewing are subject to such low pressures and temperature that the mechanical seal you create by tightening them is sufficient. As long as you tighten them enough, and never loosen them, it's fine. If it's going to be taken apart, you will need teflon to fill the gaps.

Kegged: The Weevil Dead IIPA | Tornado Warning Imperial Stout | Prepare To Die Porter

Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Jim_Holmes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

most pipe dope has an oil base, leave some sit in a warm place for a while in the can and look at all the stuff that comes out of the mix. dont think id want that in my beer.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral
Teflon is non-leaching. At least, it leaches so low that it's almost negligible. If you were to use dope, I would make sure it's food grade; and AFAIK most "food grade" dope is for plastic, not SS; SS pipes make a mechanical seal.

To be honest, the pipe threads we use in brewing are subject to such low pressures and temperature that the mechanical seal you create by tightening them is sufficient. As long as you tighten them enough, and never loosen them, it's fine. If it's going to be taken apart, you will need teflon to fill the gaps.
One of the big reasons for Teflon tape is to keep your threads from binding. Stick with Teflon tape, or nickel tape for connections outside your kettle. It has a higher temp resistance and is thicker.

If you don't use the tape and you get a leak and the threads bind, or if you ever want to switch things out, you'll have to replace the fitting (and potentially cut it out).

Don't go with pipe dope - Teflon tape is the way to go.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 12-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #9
archthered
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok so it sounds like I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow. I was just trying to not have to make a shopping trip just for thread tape but it sounds like I need to. Won't be a waste of a trip, I can get the distilled water to check the calibration on my thermometer.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewguyver View Post
One of the big reasons for Teflon tape is to keep your threads from binding. Stick with Teflon tape, or nickel tape for connections outside your kettle. It has a higher temp resistance and is thicker.

If you don't use the tape and you get a leak and the threads bind, or if you ever want to switch things out, you'll have to replace the fitting (and potentially cut it out).

Don't go with pipe dope - Teflon tape is the way to go.
Im sorry, I don't mean to sound rude--even though I will--but that is absolutely not true at all. I'm a machinist, knowing threads is part of my job, not just a hobby; I don't say that to sound condescending but to imply that I literally have studied threads and what their shape is designed for. There are two types of pipe thread you will encounter in the general public DYI field: NPT, and NPTF. 95% of what you will buy and use is NPT. I could get into the specifics of the differences of each, but I'd rather it just be googled.

Tape is ~necessary~ for NPT threads if they are going to be subject to pressure without making a mechanical seal, or are going to be torqued to a seal, then loosened. It has nothing to do with lube, but actual seal. NPT threads aren't designed to seal mechanically, so thus they need tape to seal. They CAN be sealed mechanically, without tape, but then CANNOT be taken apart without compromising the seal.

Even if you deform the threads to a mechanical seal, and then loosen it, you can still use it with tape to make a seal. There is no way you should ever have to replace a fitting unless you a) applied WAY to much torque and deformed the threads, or b) crossthreaded the threads and destroyed them.

99% of threads are NOT one time use. If they get screwed up so that they can't be used again, chances are it's operator error, not because you didn't use "lube."
Kegged: The Weevil Dead IIPA | Tornado Warning Imperial Stout | Prepare To Die Porter

Quick Reply