Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pick up tube woes...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Bowtiebrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pick up tube woes...

Well I am new to this board. I am having some problems... My kettle pick up tubes are just not cutting it... My HLT is fine I have a strait shot down to the bottom of my Keggle and drains with about maybe 4 cups of water left in it...

But my BK... HOLY CRAP!! almost 1.5 gallons left in it...

I have this kind of set up... except its a Keggle not a pot...

It seems like there is a leak somewhere...

I am running all 1/2 ID copper pipe to a weldless fitting that is not leaking at all...

I read in a previous post about clamping the tube or something so that it creates more suction? Is this how its supposed to be done?

Any help would be much appriciated... I want to get a trial run in on my new System this weekend...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, 1.5 gallons using a pickup tube? It just craps out on you? How much higher is the pot your draining versus the vessel its going into?

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Are you using a hose on the output of the drain? If not, the flow will stop when it reaches the bulkhead level. Even so, running to the corner like that in a keg has to leave at least a gallon behind because that's how much the recess in the center holds. Actually, it's closer to 3/4 gallon.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm running a March pump with pretty stiff lines... Bobby same disconnects as you btw... your video and posts were extremely helpful!

Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am wondering if I clamp down on the copper pick up tube, will that create more suction?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiebrewery View Post
I am wondering if I clamp down on the copper pick up tube, will that create more suction?

Are the copper pipe and elbow sweated together or just pushed on. That could be a leak source if they are not sweated. I'm not clear on what you mean by clamping down on the pick up tube. Where would you put a clamp?

I noticed that the end of the pickup tube appears to be flattened. A flattened end might easily get clogged with trub/hop debris. It's not really necessary to flatten it at all. I run my pickup tube to the center of the keggle bottom and seldom leave behind more than a pint or so of wort if that. I don't see a big advantage in having it lay along the side up hight as shown in the pic.

Quick Reply