Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Perlick Faucet Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndy View Post
I also had this problem with 2 new 525's replacing el cheapo's that come from the factory. I ended up buying new shanks because i wanted 90 elbows anyway but the new ones still leaked. I thought everything was as tight as possible but was able to give them both maybe an 8th of a turn more and all the leaking stopped. Maybe using 2 rings would work and be easier, but tightening the crap out of them worked for me.
In my case, I can't even get the faucet on with one gasket! It's like the "teeth" don't just quite match up. I did get it on once, and beer spewed out the sides of that ring coupler on the shank.

My 425s were a piece of cake to install, so this is more than a little aggravating! I really didn't plan on spending twice as much money as I did- the faucet was expensive enough!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Strange, thats exactly where mine were leaking but i dont remember the teeth being that off on my setup. Has anyone contacted Perlick on this problem? They are an expensive faucet and should not be such a headache.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #23
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts

Well, I just got two perlick's in from kegcowboy yesterday. I just got them installed and hooked it up to the keg full of sanitizer and beer spewed out the holes everywhere. I think I might be having the same problem with the shank connection. Hard to believe that this seems to happen to a lot of people with these high quality faucets. I ordered my tower and faucets so everything came ready to go...or so I thought. Not sure what to do now.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 AM   #24
WTF_Brewing
Recipes 

I got four Perlicks and 4 plated shanks and had similar problems with two of them. The other two just didn't want to tighten up. The teeth just fit too tight. I lubed the teeth, gasket, and the threads with keg lube and then tightened them down. Every time the collar got tight, I shook the faucet a bit and the collar would tighten down a bit more. After a few minutes I was able to get all four tightened up and have had no leaks. The keg lube on everything was the key.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
D-MOTITAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I had the same problem. I used a small wire brush and file to get some of the chrome off the shank threads. Tighten......hit with rubber mallet......tighten......curse.....hit again.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #26
nibbler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
In my case, I can't even get the faucet on with one gasket! It's like the "teeth" don't just quite match up. I did get it on once, and beer spewed out the sides of that ring coupler on the shank.

My 425s were a piece of cake to install, so this is more than a little aggravating! I really didn't plan on spending twice as much money as I did- the faucet was expensive enough!
Does anyone have a vendor/model for a known-good shank that will fit the 525SS?

I wouldn't mind buying new tower shanks if I could be assured that they would fit.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #27
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 133

A friend of mine was having this issue with one of his perlick 525s I informed him that it was the shank, he bought the same shank I have from our LHBS and it still didn't fit, he had to test fit a perlick onto several shanks before he found one that fit perfectly, all of the shanks were the same part number too. The LHBS ended sending back 10 of the 20 they had in stock because they wouldnt fit the faucets.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #28
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MOTITAN View Post
I had the same problem. I used a small wire brush and file to get some of the chrome off the shank threads. Tighten......hit with rubber mallet......tighten......curse.....hit again.
I did some beating with a rubber mallet and a lot of squeezing/tightening and I too threw in some cursing...finally no leaks!!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #29
Backporchbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This seems like poor quality on the 525 models. I've tried one on two different shanks (a ss one and a plated one) and neither would work with the new 525. I ordered more of the little orings that seal it and doubled them up and still got beer shooting everywhere. I guess the only thing left for me is to beat it into submission or grind it down with a dremel. I'm highly disappointed in Perlick for these. I have an older brass perlick and a cheapo faucet that I've never had a problem with, but that shiny new 525 just seems to be poor quality control.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #30
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Anyone have these problems with the 575 creamer faucets? Are people having better luck with SS shanks? I plan on setting up a collared keezer with 4 inch SS shanks and the 575 faucets

Quick Reply