Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Perlick Faucet Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
joex444
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just to revive a dead thread twice (mainly because it comes up on a google search for "perlick faucet leak"), I ran into this same problem today when adding two Perlick 525SS to a stainless 3" double tower. Sprayed beer everywhere when I connected the liquid out.

I found that the Perlick had a smaller o-ring than the standard one. So, I just swapped o-rings and have the ones from the standard faucet in the Perlicks. No more leaking. Too bad I gave the wall so much beer to find this out.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #12
MackayClanBrewing
Recipes 

Thanks for the post. I haven't even tried to mess with the Perlick faucet due to haveing 2 homebrews currently on tap. It sounds like you found the best way. If you could email me at kylemackayusmc@yahoo.com with more detailed instructions on what you did I would very much like that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
MackayClanBrewing
Recipes 

I tried swapping out the o-rings but it still didn't help get a seal. Looks like I might have to buy some more shanks. Bummer

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
md20_20
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I had a similar problem with some 525ss faucets and the less expensive plated shanks. I was only able to find one combination of faucet and shank out of the set whose teeth would mate sufficiently well to allow me to get the faucet far enough onto the shank to make a seal. I should note that the teeth seemed to align OK, it's just that they didn't fit together well.

As a first timer, it took me a while to figure that out and to realize that the teeth don't contribute to the seal, they're there to keep the faucet aligned correctly. To fix the leak issue, what I did was take my Dremel and grind down the teeth on the shank a little at a time to reduce their height from the shank body. I didn't grind so much off that the teeth aren't able to do their primary job of keeping things aligned. After a few iterations (grind, try, repeat) I got each of the faucets connected and leak-free.

The warmest beer you ever drank was just cold enough.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
HellBentBrewCo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Has anyone actually solved this issue or do you just buy more stuff? I just bought 3 525ss and 2 shanks for my portable kegerator and none of the combinations will seal well enough to prevent a leak. I put one of my older perlicks on the shank and no problems. I don't want to buy more shanks just to fit these taps if I can avoid it. (and I want my money back on the other shanks!)

Hell-Bent Brew Co. on Facebook
Hell-Bent Brew Co. Gear Shirts, Steins and other awesome stuff

Old 03-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
nibbler
Recipes 

Just ran into this problem yesterday putting a 525SS on my tower. Ended up with beer all over the walls-- very frustrating.

After playing around we determined that the problem is indeed an incompatibility with the teeth preventing it from mounting flush. Tightening it as much as possible did not solve the problem, it still leaked.

Does anyone have the model number of a known good shank for a tower?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 156 Posts

I found a solution. I was having the same problem, poor fit and spewing through the three tighting holes. I put a second oring inside. The thicker combination worked perfectly. Cheap and effective and now I get to use my new shiny Perlick!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
I found a solution. I was having the same problem, poor fit and spewing through the three tighting holes. I put a second oring inside. The thicker combination worked perfectly. Cheap and effective and now I get to use my new shiny Perlick!
Going to try this out!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBentBrewCo View Post
Has anyone actually solved this issue or do you just buy more stuff? I just bought 3 525ss and 2 shanks for my portable kegerator and none of the combinations will seal well enough to prevent a leak. I put one of my older perlicks on the shank and no problems. I don't want to buy more shanks just to fit these taps if I can avoid it. (and I want my money back on the other shanks!)
I'm bumping this thread because this is exactly what happened to me. I built a little faucet through-the-door kegerator. I wanted to change just the faucet and it's a no-go. The regular faucet doesn't leak a bit. The new perlick spews beer out the side, around the collar. I'm really angry! I didn't plan on being forced to buy a new shank.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #20
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I also had this problem with 2 new 525's replacing el cheapo's that come from the factory. I ended up buying new shanks because i wanted 90 elbows anyway but the new ones still leaked. I thought everything was as tight as possible but was able to give them both maybe an 8th of a turn more and all the leaking stopped. Maybe using 2 rings would work and be easier, but tightening the crap out of them worked for me.

Quick Reply