Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Peristaltic pumps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
I too would be a bit concerned about too slow a flow. Of course the way around this is just to build it bigger with larger diameter tubing.

Yes, those I have seen are way too slow. You would also need one with dual heads to make a balanced sparge system. I don't have any trouble eyeballing the sparge rate manually, but I do have to stay nearby to keep an eye on it.

I've always thought that a diaphram pump might be a better way to go. I've never seen an economical one with a high enough temperature rating. The main problem seems to be that no one has designed a pump with home brewing specifically in mind. Most of us adapt a March or similar pump. These do work OK, but a properly designed paristaltic or diaphram pump might possibly work a lot better. The self priming feature alone for these pumps would be a big improvement. Too bad we are such a small market that it's probably not lucrative enough for someone to design a pump specifically for home brewing use.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've always thought a peristaltic pump would be great for homebrewing. I'm glad we have a discussion on how building one might work. If you are worried about flow just use a larger diameter tube for the actual pump part, then have it connected to your normal size tubing at the inlet and outlet.

Also it won't pull too much suction since silicone tubing will collapse, granted my thick walled 1/2" stuff can have a lot more suction on it than the thin walled 3/8" I had before.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Finding the right gear motor to drive a peristaltic pump will be the biggest challenge IMO.

How big would the pump tube need to be in order to pump 4 gpm? I think it would have to be much larger than you realize.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use a peristaltic pump with my aquarium setup. I've replaced the tubing, and it does get crushed after a while. Granted, I'm only running room temp water through it.

The tubing is Tygon, I picked it up from US Plastics. I have the 3/16" od, 1/16" ID stuff. It lasts about 6-8 months before I need to swap it out. (running 1 minute every 29)

That all being said, making a switchover plumbing system that could start the pump/flow with the peri pump, then go with either syphon or gravity would be killer.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

With a quick search so far I found

Quote:
The ½ inch pump has a flow rate of 2.6 gpm, while the 3/4 inch has a flow rate of 4.4 gpm ...

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
How big would the pump tube need to be in order to pump 4 gpm? I think it would have to be much larger than you realize.
We can go with a small diameter tube, but the pump housing must be very large to accomdate the long tube.

If we use a displacement of .o5 gl/Rev., 4 gl/min or 240 gl/hr
we need a motor RPM = 80. HP < .5 for small tubing (guessing)

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #17
silverbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the interest guys...

The tube I have bought is all singing and dancing flexy soft silicone, and cost a whopping £40 for 5 metres, but it is suitable for hi temps and peristaltic pumps. As suggested on this forum, I will check out American ebay seller ngs2009 (Nora Stark) when I want more tube.

The PIC chips I am rattling on about are a sub species of the standard PIC chips and are available from PICAXE. The big thing about these chips over the standard PIC chips is they have an enbedded program that means they can be programmed on your home PC and all you have to do is download the free manuals from the help section of the site, download the free programmer software and engage your brain, so only I hard bit there! The chips cost a few cents more than the standard PIC.

So far I have used these chips to control an engine coolant pre heater system on my car, which each morning, moves all the climate control motors to where they need to be and then fires up a coolant pump and then the heating element. I also made an engine coolant alarm system for my camper, which is just a circuit that checks a pair of digital temp sensors, one on each cylinder bank. I am just learning, so no fancy stuff yet, but I did write the programmes and design the circuits, so I went straight out and had a beer to celebrate.

A friend of mine on the Honda Insight car forum has used these chips to make a massively complex battery management system for his hybrid cars new lithium batteries, and it now does an easy 150 MPG (Mine only averages 107 !! It sends info to a digital display and all sorts of clever stuff, so with the application of the aformentioned brain, there is no reason why any home made brewery set-up cannot have the sort of control that the newest Brew-magics have got. Hopefully some of the boffins amongst you will check picaxe's out and verify how much use they could be to the automation brigade on this forum, as I am only a few points away from "Dumb" as far as how these thing truly work....but programmers amongst you will see the potential I am sure. They seem to be very popular in Australia for some weird reason.

I am intending to keep the construction of the pump as simple as I can. I'm thinking skateboard wheels for the rollers and making it so the rotating arm diameter is either easily variable, or easily changeable to vary the flow rate in a 1/2" tube so it sticks to approximately the standard tube size and can give a varied flow rate.

I need empirical flow rates from you guys, but I am collecting a stainless keg on Friday, so in a while, and after lots of grinding and welding noises from the shed I will be able to find out for myself!

More later...

Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #18
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Spirax Sarco - Watson Marlow Bredel Peristaltic Pumps on Global Component Database

continuous pumping 8gpm with a 1"ID tube.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #19
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Someone on HBT here (I cannot recall who) uses this one:

Greylor Company | Model 200 | Pump manufacture and Distributor

You could get ~2gpm with this using 1/2 silicone hose.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 04-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #20
silverbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am going to knock up a pump that uses 1 metre of the 1/2" tube. By my calculations, that will pump out about 10 litres a min at 100rpm which is 2.6US gallons. For all I know, my motor may not be up to it, or the pipe will explode, but only time will tell.

It won't be pretty, and will use skateboard wheels to squeeze the pipe. If it proves the concept I will make a propper one.

Blessed are the "cracked", for it is they who let in the light.

Quick Reply