The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > The Perfect Brewing Scale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
WheeledGoat
DisMember
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default The Perfect Brewing Scale

[BEGIN INFOMERCIAL]
We all have our own way of doing things and we like it that way... but every now and again a product comes along that changes that, and you start wondering how you ever got along without it! If you're in the market for a brewing scale, consider the Chefmate 3-in-1!!!

It's perfect! It's large enough to accomodate a bowl and still easily see the readout, (but it can only accomodate up to 4.4lb - this is perhaps the biggest drawback of this scale). It weights in g or oz, runs off 2xAA batteries, turns itself off after a few minutes, and has a clock.

But wait! There's MORE!
It's got a timer!
The best part about the timer is you can count up or down, pause the timer (for when you're making an addition and getting back up to boil), and while it lacks settable intermittent alarms (to remind you of certain additions), it automatically chirps at 15, 10, and 5 minutes of the countdown! It must have been designed by a homebrewer - that's my only theory. Just perfect for the Irish Moss & aroma hop additions.

It's the perfect brewing accessory! Get yours today, while supplies last!
[/END INFOMERCIAL]

p.s. I found mine at Target, same price as amazon.com, minus shipping.

Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
[BEGIN INFOMERCIAL]
(but it can only accomodate up to 4.4lb - this is perhaps the biggest drawback of this scale). ours today, while supplies last!
[/END INFOMERCIAL]

My scale now, that I intend to upgrade, is an analog POS scale. Even though it has no fancy bells and whistles, the main reason I want to upgrade is because it only goes up to 4 lbs and it is a PITA. I am sure this scale is nice, but it definitely would not work for me.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

I have that scale and it works great. I'll quickly replace it if I find one with the same features with a 20-30lb capacity, though.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

wow...If mine ever bites the dust, I'll grab one of these. Coolness!

But 'goat you really need a spokesmodel to be demoing this product.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Check into the WeighMax digital scales. The one I purchased on ebay I recall was $13 including shipping ( it was late one night within seconds of the bid closing so I jumped on it). Model W-28221, yes i'm very happy with it. You'll have to go thru a bunch of garbage when you google for their scales until you get the Weight Max factory for different models with specs.

Weighing in G,oz, +/- 1 oz
Auto-Weight-Lock Function
Auto Shut Off
Low Battery Indicator
Tare weight Feature
Optional Power Source (a standard 9 volt socket in the back for a 9 volt DC cube power supply add your own if needed).
Lifetime Warranty (within 15 miles from me). A major US company but will this small end scale model be around 10 years from now for service as this scale is made in China) Big surprise?

There were many more for sale on ebay for this item by the same company with different end of sale times. Weighs items up to 35 pounds with graduations down to 0.1 oz/5 grams. The higher capacity model I recall was 50 pounds that was accurate to 0.2 oz/ 10 grams.
To be legal as a postal scale it must be accurate to 0.1 oz i've been told by the USPS.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 10-22-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using the Chefmate Digital Stainless Scale for years now. It's very accurate (+- 1g) and weights up to 11 pounds at a time. It's available at Target for $40.

And, of course, it has the priceless "tare" function which is very useful when weighing out specialty grains into the same bowl.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
WheeledGoat
DisMember

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But 'goat you really need a spokesmodel to be demoing this product.

I'm gonna see if I can get Zac's Brewbabe for the job! Based on those pics, I'm betting she can sell ice to an Eskimo.
Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Old 10-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
[BEGIN INFOMERCIAL]
We all have our own way of doing things and we like it that way... but every now and again a product comes along that changes that, and you start wondering how you ever got along without it! If you're in the market for a brewing scale, consider the Chefmate 3-in-1!!!

It's perfect! It's large enough to accomodate a bowl and still easily see the readout, (but it can only accomodate up to 4.4lb - this is perhaps the biggest drawback of this scale). It weights in g or oz, runs off 2xAA batteries, turns itself off after a few minutes, and has a clock.

But wait! There's MORE!
It's got a timer!

The best part about the timer is you can count up or down, pause the timer (for when you're making an addition and getting back up to boil), and while it lacks settable intermittent alarms (to remind you of certain additions), it automatically chirps at 15, 10, and 5 minutes of the countdown! It must have been designed by a homebrewer - that's my only theory. Just perfect for the Irish Moss & aroma hop additions.

It's the perfect brewing accessory! Get yours today, while supplies last!
[/END INFOMERCIAL]

p.s. I found mine at Target, same price as amazon.com, minus shipping.
I just got one and it rocks!
Thanks for the tip.
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have one of these too. I got it for all the reasons you listed, and it was the cheapest digital scale at Target.

Quick Reply