The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > PBW in carboy for too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
thebigo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default PBW in carboy for too long?

I have let sit a solution of 1 oz PBW to 1 gal water in my glass carboy for a few weeks as I have not had the time to get around to it. Thought that this would be alright as I have heard people soaking their glass carboys for lengths of time. When I washed the carboys out (have not yet sanitized with Star San) I see a haze on the inside.

The haze is splochy, not on the whole of the inside of the carboy. I am presently letting hot, fresh water soak the inside of the carboy and have also tried getting any dried PBW off the outside of the carboy.

The dried PBW on the outside of the carboy is impossible. I have scrubbed with a scrubbie, I have scraped with my finger nail, etc. It will not come off completely. As for the inside of the carboy, after letting fresh, hot water soak for a couple of hours I was able to remove some of the haze.

I will report back after it has soaked longer. My question is: will sanitizing take the haze from the PBW off the inside of the glass carboy or have I just let the PBW sit on the inside for WAY TOO LONG?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No. I've done this with Oxiclean and not PBW and actually used PBW to get that same haze out. If you do a hot water PBW soak (for not very long) it might come out.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
thebigo
Recipes 

Default Research complete

After looking further into this situation for some additional solutions here is what I found. So if you are looking at this thread and its close but not exactly what you were looking for, this might be your link.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/what...o-much-149131/

It's a vinegar/star san solution to the haze and/or crystal formation build-up from leaving OXICLEAN or PBW in your equipment for too long.

Quick Reply