Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Party Pig vs. Tap-a-Draft

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
TheH2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Party Pig vs. Tap-a-Draft

I saw a party pig for $20 but my lhbs sells the tap-a-draft system (w/out plastic bottles and told me I could use my own bottles?). So, anyone used both? Which one is better?

My lhbs doesn't sell party pigs b/c he says they suck but I have heard otherwise here.

The tap-a-draft seems like it doesn't keep long, about 6 weeks after adding beer. But if it takes two weeks to carbonate then that is only 4 weeks to drink which isn't bad for 1 bottle, but definitely not half my batch. Is it possible to keep it in the bottle longer as long as you don't tap it? I like the idea of the tap-a-draft especially if I could keep it in my basement for months until I wanted to start drinking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
AZWyatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheH2
I saw a party pig for $20 but my lhbs sells the tap-a-draft system (w/out plastic bottles and told me I could use my own bottles?). So, anyone used both? Which one is better?

My lhbs doesn't sell party pigs b/c he says they suck but I have heard otherwise here.

The tap-a-draft seems like it doesn't keep long, about 6 weeks after adding beer. But if it takes two weeks to carbonate then that is only 4 weeks to drink which isn't bad for 1 bottle, but definitely not half my batch. Is it possible to keep it in the bottle longer as long as you don't tap it? I like the idea of the tap-a-draft especially if I could keep it in my basement for months until I wanted to start drinking.
Party pigs are nice, but you gotta buy one of those $5 pouches every time you use the damn thing. And the system is usually $50 each. The CO2 cartridges for the tap-a-draft are only $1.40 to $2.10 to push out a 6L bottle. I haven't used the system myself, but I've looked at several reviews. Most people say it performs well. A few have complained of leaks at the bottle threads when tapped, but this can be remedied by teflon tape.

So far as how long the beer will last, in the PET bottle it should last six months or so as long as you make sure it's kept in a dark place. It should last 4 weeks or so once you hook it up to the tap.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheH2
(w/out plastic bottles and told me I could use my own bottles?).

If your in a part of the country where soft drinks are sold in three liter bottles you could use those, they have a wider mouth than two liter bottles and would probably fit the tap-a-draft. I think thay also make a adapter to use the metal minikegs with a tap-a-draft.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've heard people complain about how slow the beer comes out on TAD's. The TAD probably can probably last longer than 4-6 weeks. I believe the carbonation leaks out and you'll go through more co2 sparklettes to store it. The other bottles if untapped can last a year if stored properly. Cool and in the dark.

I have heard nothing but praise on the party pigs. The only common thing people have complained about has to do with the cost of the pouches.

I know somebody posted photos with a party and a co2 attachment. The drilled a hole and mounted a chrome valve and a portable tire inflator.

I never heard back from them on this. I may have to search for it in here.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...highlight=Pigs

I have a party pig but have yet to use it. I will be using it shortly. My HB Club likes the party pig.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I just found out that I can use mini-kegs with the tap-a-draft system. So, off to the store to buy a full one (apparently anything but Heineken as it is a different system) and drink away. No sense buying an empty one for almost $10 when I can buy a full one for $20.

I think I can handle 24 bottles as opposed to 46 to 48. A few more 22oz. bottles and bottling day will be a breeze.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So you fill and carbonate a TAD system the same way you would a keg? And the TAD system fits mini-kegs?

This might be a quick cheaper alternative then buying a bunch of keg equipment at the time being.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I have to wonder why people decide to go with a TAP or pig.

expensive for something made of plastic

$5 for each pouch and I need two pigs for a batch(i think) way to much extra cost for a batch

tad will leak carbonation so it limits how long i can store it with out waste kinda crazy if i want to age a little

IMO bottle some more batches and save up for real kegging equipment your going to want to eventually anyways

But I guess those that have serious space issues may have a case for one.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think its my lazyness, I drink it fast enough to consume in 1 1/2 months. I dont with the holidays have money to buy all the kegging equipment. And I absolutely am tired of bottling.

But if its not all its cracked up to be I will take your advice!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #9
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I'm building 2 of these with my next paycheck:

http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/cheap_3_liter_kegs.htm

Should be a pretty cheap alternative

Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

+1 on the lazyness I want to keg so bad but I weighed the options and an going to "suffer" though some more bottling sessions. Acually Im like a little kid on bottling day so no big deal.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Quick Reply