New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Paint strainer Brew Pot Liner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
BadWolfBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 28 Posts

Default Paint strainer Brew Pot Liner

I've been reading up on paint strainer bags as hop filters, as I'm having some trouble with hops clogging up my pumps (actually, clogging up the TINY bore of the camlock disconnects). The hop spiders look great, but my brewery doesn't allow. I have a 'busy' brew pot, containing:

Side diptube on bottom, heating element, stainless herms/ IC coil hanging down from lid, whirlpooling inlet hanging down from lid. With that stuff on the lid the way it is, I couldn't use a hop spider without having to remove it at the end of the boil before cooling.

So... I'm looking at using a 5 gallon paint strainer bag lining my 5 gallon brewpot. The pot is 12.5" in diameter, so I think the bag will fit over the rim and line the whole thing. With the wort contacting the heating element, the heating element shouldn't get hot enough to burn the bag, and this way once I put the lid on the coil will fit inside the bag. I'd run the boil as normal, just tossing hops in whenever the recipe calls for it, or when I get bored.

The idea is, the whole kettle will be the filter, and there shouldn't be a hit in utilization. More importantly, it will not require me to modify my setup.

Does anybody see any flaws with the idea? I see plenty of people using the paint strainer bags, but I didn't find any lining the whole brew pot (mostly because their brew pots are bigger than my little fella).

many thanks, sorry for rambling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
TheWulf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I could probably see the bag melting from being in contact with the hot kettle wall....

Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
BadWolfBrewing
Recipes 

really? The kettle walls aren't any hotter than the boiling liquid. I'd only worry about the surface of the heating element, which shouldn't be much over 212 F

Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
BadWolfBrewing
Recipes 

Specifically, I was worried about the bottom of the bag getting clogged towards the end of the kettle drain. Anybody try this?

Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
BadWolfBrewing
Recipes 

yeah, I'm bumping my own thread. I am likely trying this weekend, but I worry something will go wrong. Anybody using paint strainer bags as hop filters, do you have to weight them down in the boil?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Yes, I weight the bags with stainless fittings in a small hop bag so they don't get clogged with hop particles.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't think you want the bag touching the element causing hot spots and shortening element life. No real experience but seem to have read bad things about grain and elements in the past.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
nealperkins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would like to hear from those that have done this.

I wonder about, in addition to the bag weights, of adding some sort of 'structure' to keep the bag from collapsing on itself. This to enhance hot wort transfer. Otherwise, it 'seems' this might just be a large hop bag (or, I'm missing something.)

Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
nealperkins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Let me try that again...lost the last post...

OK, I re-read the original post and I cannot do exactly what has been proposed as my BK is larger. But, I can fashion a way to suspend the bag over the wort (and adjust w/ various sized batches).

Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I have an 8 gallon pot with a 220v 4.5kW ultra low element installed at about the 1.5 gallon height. I use a 5gal paint strainer bag stretched around the rim for hops. The bag does tough the element and I haven't seen any scorching of the bag or damage to the element in the eight batches since I switched to this kettle. Yrmv.

I did have bag clog on an IPA. I noticed low volume in the fermenter and squeezed the grain bag. Now I squeeze the bag with sanitized tongs after I chill but before I start draining the kettle.

Quick Reply