New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Paint Ball Cylinder Regulator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
Radarbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Be VERY careful filling those tanks. If you screw it up, you will blow the burst disk (at the least) or freeze the bejeesus outta your fingers. I watched the kid at the paintball place do both on the same day. He lost a bit of skin on his fingers when they defrosted. I suggest a quick lesson from the fill place at a reliable gas filler first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #12
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarbrew
Be VERY careful filling those tanks. If you screw it up, you will blow the burst disk (at the least) or freeze the bejeesus outta your fingers. I watched the kid at the paintball place do both on the same day. He lost a bit of skin on his fingers when they defrosted. I suggest a quick lesson from the fill place at a reliable gas filler first.
I would have loved to see that. I used to train the *cough* kids *cough* refs on proper filling. Some of them just couldn't get it though their skulls.

I see one very minor problem with the setup in that link. The tank they are using do not have an on/off knob. I would highly recommend going that route otherwise it could tend to eat o-rings. It is easy enough to swap valves if you have a vice.

You could potentially fill your own 20oz bottle off of a larger one if you have it. Simply do it the old school way. Make a hose adapter that goes between both tanks. Invert the large tank, unless if it has a siphon tube, and turn the knob to fill the smaller tank. As soon as the hissing slows, turn the knob off. As long as you don't freeze the small bottle* before filling there is very little risk of the burst disk blowing. In fact, in 14 years of paintball I've never blown one. Just don't leave a full tank sitting in the sun or in your car (common sense).

*freezing the bottle will give the best fill but do not try this unless if you have a scale handy.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #13
whodwho
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion
Also note: that any steel cylinders less than 2" in dia. do not require hydro testing. I'll look up the proof later.
"Any cylinder not exceeding 2 inches outside diameter and less than 2 feet in length is excepted from volumetric expansion test."

Not sure if just for Aluminum?

http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/approvals/regs/180.209.htm

This one mentions specifically Aluminum ones:
http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPACT/2005/October/Day-26/i21273.htm

Old 10-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #14
tdiowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My son has three 20 oz paintball tanks. So while trying to figure out if my CO2 gauges would fit I found this site with the adapter that screws into the regulator and the tank. Works like a charm.

http://www.octopustap.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=59

TD

Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #15
D*Bo
Recipes 

I went to the paint ball shop a week or two ago and picked up the fitting with a valve on top for under $10.

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Quick Reply