Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oxygenator vs. More Beer's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
JMass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Oxygenator vs. More Beer's

Any difference between More Beer's Oxygen system $30 and the Oxygenator $50-60? I guess if I can't decide if I need one of these, why would I pay more? My current method is to pour my wort between my ferment pail and boil bucket through a strainer now. When there is too much foam to pour anymore I stop. 1.060 is a typical OG for my beers.

On the one hand, I'm not unhappy with my beers. However, I'm not opposed to improving and I do like a drier beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Unless you tend to get stuck fermentations, I wouldn't bother. Shaking/pouring back and forth is more than adequate if you pitch enough yeast.

To get a slightly drier beer, you can reduce your mash temp by a degree or two, and slowly ramp up the fermentation temperature into the mid-70s as activity begins to subside. Warmer temps give the yeasties a little more comfortable environment as they deal with ethanol toxicity and complex sugars, delaying their flocculation a little.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The systems all include a screw on regulator and a stainless diffusion stone. Some have a flexible hose to connect the two and some have a solid stainless wand attached to the stone. I like the idea of the latter to keep the stone where you want it. Those regulators are probably the most marked up piece of brewing gear there is but there just doesn't seem to be a cheaper to get O2 out of disposable tanks.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The systems all include a screw on regulator and a stainless diffusion stone. Some have a flexible hose to connect the two and some have a solid stainless wand attached to the stone. I like the idea of the latter to keep the stone where you want it. Those regulators are probably the most marked up piece of brewing gear there is but there just doesn't seem to be a cheaper to get O2 out of disposable tanks.

Look and ask around as there are many legal owner owned bottles out there, sure a exchange plus a fill charge will cost you but again many times cheaper than those HD disposable bottles. Besides the big savings you have an investment that you always can sell.
I've picked up owner owned Linde 260 cu/ft O2 , Argon and Helium down to I believe 70 cu/ft for a matched set of owner owned "Q" bottle O/A units from $10 260 cu/ft to $45 a pair of "Q" bottles with papers. Besides used for heating and bending steel with a rosebud the O2 bottles with Victor regulator and a medical L/minute flow meter are great for adding O2 thru a stainless stone in the fermenter. Refilled larger bottles keep the cost per cu/ft way down vs those disposable bottles. My way of thinking if you plan on brewing a long time including 150 to 215 cu/ft Nitrogen/Co2 stout gas bottles. Co2 20# are common and cheap to collect.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Quick Reply