Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oxygen Tanks for Oxynator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
muddylars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oxygen Tanks for Oxynator

Hi,
I just started using an Oxynator with one of those red disposible O2 tanks from Lowes. I have been turning on the O2 for 15 seconds, then turning it off and waiting for the foam to settle, then turning it on for another 15 seconds for 10 gallons of wort. Does this sound like an adequate amount of time? I have done this with about 10 batches, and on my most recent batch I noticed significantly less bubbles. Is it possible that I am running out of oxygen in the tank ( i have no idea how long it should last) or is possible that my stone is getting clogged? I usually just soak the stone in sanitizer for about 10 min then store in a plastic bag after each use.
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a refillable oxygen source with the Oxynator? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
IFP
Recipes 

Probably running out of oxygen. Those things don't give ANY warning as far as how heavy they feel, they just run out *poof!* <- like that.

Keep two on hand at all times, when one runs out, you'll have a backup. Just be sure to replace the backup right away

Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFP View Post
Those things don't give ANY warning as far as how heavy they feel, they just run out *poof!* <- like that.

Keep two on hand at all times, when one runs out, you'll have a backup. Just be sure to replace the backup right away
Actually they do. If you have a scale that reads in grams (which you should) You'll need to weigh a full one first, then you can occasionally weigh it again to see how much oxygen you have left.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you have to stop after 15 seconds due to foam, it's an indication that you're running it WAYYYYY too fast. You should easily be able to run it for 60 seconds with just a small head on top. All those big bubbles on top are full of o2 that is NOT going into the beer.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If you have to stop after 15 seconds due to foam, it's an indication that you're running it WAYYYYY too fast. You should easily be able to run it for 60 seconds with just a small head on top. All those big bubbles on top are full of o2 that is NOT going into the beer.
I will add, if possible to do so, rock or agitate the fermenter after aeration to incorporate some of the O2 that is in head space.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
IFP
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Actually they do. If you have a scale that reads in grams (which you should) You'll need to weigh a full one first, then you can occasionally weigh it again to see how much oxygen you have left.
I don't doubt that it registers a difference on a gram scale, I'm just talking about how they feel. I've had a full one in one hand and an empty one in the other and couldn't tell the difference, so when grabbing one out of the closet there's definitely no "red flag" that it's getting near empty.

As far as weighing it, that's far too much trouble for my lazy *ss. At only 8 bucks a pop, I find it far easier to just always have a backup.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

I realize that I quoted you, but my post was directed towards the original poster. My point is, there is a very easy way to tell how full the tank is and when it's almost empty. If your to lazy to put the tank on a scale, then that's something you have to deal with yourself.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I echo what Bobby said...if you get too much foam in 15 seconds, you've opened the valve too far.

I barely trickle the O2 into my wort, and just move the SS airstone wand all over the bottom.
I barely see the bubbles breaking on the top...which means most of the O2 is dissolving into solution...the goal of this process.

I trickle in the O2 for about 30 seconds and just barely have foam forming at that point.
I tend to get a little more lag as the yeast consume the O2, then a massive and fast primary/active fermentation (even at 64F with ale yeast) for 2 days and then I'm usually at FG.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
mh-brews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i was thinking about buying an Oxynator. do they seem to work as adverstied in reducing final gravity ?

find us on face book MH-BREWS

Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #10
muddylars
Recipes 

I've used the oxynator on MANY batches and have not really noticed a big effect on the final gravity, therefore I've stopped using it because those small tanks were getting expensive and annoying to keep buying.

Quick Reply