Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oxydation of HERMS mash - inlet tubing/manifold

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
kingoslo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oxydation of HERMS mash - inlet tubing/manifold

Hello,

I am about to construct my first HERMS

I was reading this:

Quote:
You probably have a small beverage cooler already that would work well with a drop-in manifold like that shown with the rectangular cooler in Appendix D. One advantage to using a manifold, versus pouring the mash into a strainer, is that you avoid aerating the wort while it is hot. As was discussed in Chapter 6 - Yeast, and Chapter 8 - Fermentation, oxidation of hot wort at any time will lead to flavor stability problems in the beer later.

Source: PALMER - how to brew: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18-3.html
I imagine that by circulating the mash, more of the liquid would come in contact with the air. I was wondering what kind of inlet manifold for the returning hot mash I would use to minimize oxidation.

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Marius Jonsson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's usually either a piece of hose that sits on top of the grainbed, UNDER the wort level or a manifold of some sort that does the same. You don't splash it back in from any kind of height.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Troubs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's what I plan to use on my HERMS. Just a piece of hose

Frank Sinatra - “I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Quick Reply