Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oxyclean vs. Sight gauge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #51
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3688 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 3193

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
I wonder if the mystery reaction is somehow causing the exposed side of the material to expand or contract?
No, I think the plasticizers in the plastic are being depleted, leaving the plastic brittle. There are lots of different formulations used as plastisizers; this is what gives all plastics their flexibility. Plasticisers are not water soluble, so beer isn't going to accelerate their migration from the plastic. But they are subject to oxidative degradation, and this is what I suspect is causing the problem. Oxyclean is an oxidative cleaner. Probably heat exacerbates the effect.

I replaced my cracked and brittle sight glasses about 2 years ago (see this). I used to pump oxyclean through my BK overnight. Sometimes it would sit longer than that. I stopped doing that with my new sight glasses (Bobby's) and I haven't had any issue with them (they aren't as clean as I'd like, meh).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #52
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Negative on the chlorine being a factor.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #53
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
No, I think the plasticizers in the plastic are being depleted, leaving the plastic brittle. There are lots of different formulations used as plastisizers; this is what gives all plastics their flexibility. Plasticisers are not water soluble, so beer isn't going to accelerate their migration from the plastic. But they are subject to oxidative degradation, and this is what I suspect is causing the problem. Oxyclean is an oxidative cleaner. Probably heat exacerbates the effect.

I replaced my cracked and brittle sight glasses about 2 years ago (see this). I used to pump oxyclean through my BK overnight. Sometimes it would sit longer than that. I stopped doing that with my new sight glasses (Bobby's) and I haven't had any issue with them (they aren't as clean as I'd like, meh).
Keep in mind, the Oxyclean by itself doesn't seem to have an effect. It's the Oxyclean plus some ingredient that's in some but not all water supplies that's causing the problem. That ingredient also appears to be removable via charcoal filtration.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #54
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

I have my new sight gauge installed now (Thank You, Bobby).

To make sure, I'll just avoid the oxy from now on.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #55
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Resurrecting an old thread with new data. I used my Keggle to circulate hot caustic through my plate chiller and noticed the same crazing. I was basically pumping Liquid Drano mixed in five gallons of 180-ish water. I only circulated for about an hour before I drained and rinsed. A couple days later I noticed a crack straight through the tube.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Quick Reply