Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > oxyclean vs pbw
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #21
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arturo7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9,059
Liked 154 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

TSP? What the snot is TSP?

__________________

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

arturo7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #22
Ki-ri-n
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ki-ri-n's Avatar
Brew Setups
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richfield, WI
Posts: 393
Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Tri Sodium Phosphate

__________________
Ki-ri-n is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 AM   #23
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arturo7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9,059
Liked 154 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

How is it sold, where can you get it?

__________________

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

arturo7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #24
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,961
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
How is it sold, where can you get it?
it can be found in most hardware stores.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=46353159

http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/774237.html
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.
Hugh_Jass is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 AM   #25
Torg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 151
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post

Keep in mind most Trisodium Phosphaste, at least what is sold in the US, is actually Sodium Carbonate due the ban on phosphates since the 1990's. It really is nothing more then a surfactant. It is known to corrode metal and damage grout.

As a cleaner Sodium Percarbonate by itself works fine. It really does not need TSP to work. The only thing adding TSP does it make it work faster.
__________________
Torg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #26
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
JVD_X's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 1,492
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torg View Post
Keep in mind most Trisodium Phosphaste, at least what is sold in the US, is actually Sodium Carbonate due the ban on phosphates since the 1990's. It really is nothing more then a surfactant. It is known to corrode metal and damage grout.

As a cleaner Sodium Percarbonate by itself works fine. It really does not need TSP to work. The only thing adding TSP does it make it work faster.
This is true... but only soft metals. The TSP you get at the store still has true TSP in it but it is "cut" as it were. You can combine both TSP and cheap sodium percarbonates.

I was actually wrong, PBW contains 30% sodium metasilicate which is the surfactant and softens all water to make it work better. BTW... if you buy TSP from the hardware store it is super cheap and works great.
__________________

- JVD_X

JVD_X is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #27
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rico567's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,018
Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWernBrewer View Post
I was told that PBW is great - it eats beer-stone - and that most people use it much more than they need to. Hot water and a cheaper cleanser with a PBW wash/soak every 4-5 batches while using Star-San for sanitization was highly recommended to me.

Haven't done it yet - been coasting along with what I have.
PBW is a cleaner; Star San is a sanitizer. I use both for their respective applications. I tried Oxi-Clean, but with our super-hard well water it's a no-go for soaking glass. It will deposit a white film if soaked for more than a half hour, which must then be removed by an acid rinse (white vinegar or Star San). I therefore use PBW, works just fine. I could always buy the RO water to use with Oxi-Clean, but that wipes out the savings.
I think you'll be fine using Oxi-Clean for your application, depending on your water supply, just be sure, as mentioned in previous posts, that you rinse thoroughly.
__________________

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

rico567 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #28
beach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
PBW is a cleaner; Star San is a sanitizer. I use both for their respective applications. I tried Oxi-Clean, but with our super-hard well water it's a no-go for soaking glass. It will deposit a white film if soaked for more than a half hour, which must then be removed by an acid rinse (white vinegar or Star San). I therefore use PBW, works just fine. I could always buy the RO water to use with Oxi-Clean, but that wipes out the savings.
I think you'll be fine using Oxi-Clean for your application, depending on your water supply, just be sure, as mentioned in previous posts, that you rinse thoroughly.
Adding sodium carbonate will soften the water and eliminate the white film. It's sold around here as Arm & Hammer Super Wasing Soda.

Beach
__________________

Hope Springs Eternal- Go Cubs Go!

Michiana Grain & Extract Association at: www.mega-brew.com

beach is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
incutrav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Woodbury
Posts: 60
Default

To bring up an old thread. Anyone had any issues with pitting in plastic when using PBW? The top of my better bottle is covered in tiny pits, and i have to believe its from soaking in PBW upsidedown overnight to try and remove the krausen gunk.

__________________
incutrav is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 667
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by incutrav View Post
To bring up an old thread. Anyone had any issues with pitting in plastic when using PBW? The top of my better bottle is covered in tiny pits, and i have to believe its from soaking in PBW upsidedown overnight to try and remove the krausen gunk.
That's quite possible. PBW has been know to attack the bonding agent used to attach Teflon to pans, so it's not a stretch to believe that it might destroy PET plastic, but I can't find any link doing a search for sodium metasilicate/PET interaction. Was there any orange peel/oil involved by chance?

Edit: Nevermind concerning the orange oil. PET plastics are not broken down by d-limonene. See if vinegar gets rid of the "pits", as they might just be mineral deposits.
__________________
GNBrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is PBW the same as Oxyclean climateboy Equipment/Sanitation 40 03-20-2013 01:11 PM
Using oxyclean mr_bell Equipment/Sanitation 7 12-08-2009 11:26 AM
OxyClean -Dan- General Chit Chat 9 07-29-2008 02:51 AM
WOW...Oxyclean indybrewer General Beer Discussion 1 04-16-2008 09:26 PM
Oxyclean Chris_Dog Equipment/Sanitation 15 06-10-2007 03:19 PM