Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Which Oxyclean to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
cd2448
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Which Oxyclean to use?

Hi,

I've been using Oxyclean Miracle Foam (which we found in the kitchen cupboard) to clean everything for my brewing and it's worked very well. But the container is nearly empty and I need to stock up.

Well, I've now been to a drugstore, a grocery store and Target, and no-one seems to have this miracle foam stuff. What kind of Oxyclean do fans use? I can only find it in the laundry aisle (Oxyclean Verstatile or Versatile free). When I searched HBT I found a couple of references to that kind but the sticky refers to "an industrial version" of Oxyclean.

Can someone clean this up for me?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I use a tub of the Versatile Free stuff. I don't want any perfumes or dyes messing with my brew. The stuff is phenomenal at cleaning brewing equipment!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cool - that's the stuff that's in the laundry aisle and talks about using it to clean decks and carpets and stuff?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I like OxyClean Free, which is unscented and has no chlorines in it. You can buy it in big tubs at WalMart really cheap.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I use versatile free, and buy the biggest tub I can find.

The stuff is amazing.

I can't believe how useful this stuff is, and how it makes cleanup so easy. Right now both my bottling bucket and my primary are bubbling away with it. And my autosiphon is running through it to clean that out.

Oh...I had a boilover a couple of batches back and the metal stove ring was deeply coated with baked on sticky sugar. I popped it into a bucket with the magic powder, came back in 24 hours and cleaned up 90 percent of the gunk. Then I mixed up another bucket of fresh oxy in hot water, and left soaking another 24 hours....

You'd never be able to tell it was coated in sticky burning sugar.!

Oh another handy tool is the "magic eraser."

(no, that magic pony on the table isn't mine, the pic came off the magic eraser website )

I use whatever store brand generic I find on sale...

This is almost as amazing as oxyclean.... It's what I used on the stovetop for the boilover, made the stovetop look brand new, as well as the wall behind the stove which got a few broun drops on it. It also does great to get the last bit of sticky glue off the bottles after oxyclean has soaked the labels off. It's definitely a good addition to the cleanup gear.

I also hotglued 2 of them to a cheap dollarstore mop, and it is amazing on my kitcen and bathroom floors.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you search, you'll find a post indicating that the primary active ingredient is called "Sodium Percarbonate". Hence this line of "Oxygen Cleaners" being dubbed "Percarbonate Cleaners". I did a little research and found out the cheap stuff at wall mart is almost exactly the same as the -twice the money- OXYCLEAN branded cleaners. (you can check out there websites and compare the data reports). The cheap stuff is labeled as "Sun Oxygen Cleaner". I've used it for about 6 batches now, and I've not noticed a difference in performance. Its also been suggested that you can order the active ingredient (percarbonate) from chemical supply stores and use that, but Ive not tried it.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, and you'll also find that the higher end brew specific cleaners PBW and UBW are both predominately percarbonate, but I'm sure there are additional detergents that increase effectiveness.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Is Not Enough
If you search, you'll find a post indicating that the primary active ingredient is called "Sodium Percarbonate". Hence this line of "Oxygen Cleaners" being dubbed "Percarbonate Cleaners". I did a little research and found out the cheap stuff at wall mart is almost exactly the same as the -twice the money- OXYCLEAN branded cleaners. (you can check out there websites and compare the data reports). The cheap stuff is labeled as "Sun Oxygen Cleaner". I've used it for about 6 batches now, and I've not noticed a difference in performance. Its also been suggested that you can order the active ingredient (percarbonate) from chemical supply stores and use that, but Ive not tried it.

Thanks for the research and the tip...I'll go for the generic when this tub runs out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Is Not Enough
Its also been suggested that you can order the active ingredient (percarbonate) from chemical supply stores and use that, but Ive not tried it.
I order straight sodium percarbonate - did it before I started brewing for other reasons, but it also works GREAT for everything that people say to use oxyclean for, only I use a lot less.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 02-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
beergears

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Checked CVS, Walgreen's and cannot find the Oxyclean "Free"...!

Am I left to go to WalMart, or are there other options (beside getting the percarbonate somewhere)?

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Quick Reply