Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oxyclean and off taste and smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
kinggoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Oxyclean and off taste and smell

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I am really struggling with this. I fear I have ruined two batches of kegged beer. I have started to use oxyclean to clean my kegs before filling them. (Prior I just used a water/scrub method and this had worked well, but I wanted to ensure I was getting everything.) I cannot pinpoint it yet, as I have done three kegs using Oxyclean--but I have two kegs that smell and taste like harsh chemicals. One (while still using oxyclean and rinsing twice) came out fine. The other one has had a couple of months in kegs and has mellowed out a bit, but doesnt taste quite right. The latest, is extremely offensive -- like to the point I cannot bring myself to consume it. Am I not rinsing well enough? Is it true that I should be using hot water to rinse oxyclean instead of cold water? Could it be something else, given that the one batch mellowed over time? I believe the next time I keg, I obviously will go back to my water+scrub methodology, but I fear that I have ruined 10 gallons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Interested in this too. Haven't had any off flavors yet but have only used it minimal times.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
joerose
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I just started using oxyclean free and find that I absolutely HAVE to rinse in hot water or it will not come off. I can feel its slipperiness on my buckets and carboys unless I rinse very thoroughly in hot water.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1930 Times on 1192 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

I use very hot water for cleaning and rinsing and haven't had any problems with oxyclean yet. I say yet because yesterday went to buy oxyclean at a gorcery store nearby and they wanted $6 dollars a pound. Outrageous, because the dollar store sells the same thing $1/pound.

So I made a trip across town to the dollar store and bought 4 pounds for $4.29. I thought it was the same as I'd bought before, unscented. But it wasn't, it has a very fresh smell! I used it anyway on two kegs and rinsed thoroughly with very hot water.

Doesn't appear to be any residual smell. I'll probably rinse again before I sanitize. Guess I'll find out on their next use.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 495 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I use a mix of tsp and Oxy Free. Works great, but I do over-rInse in really, really hot water. Never had any off flavors.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hot water, lots of it. Rinse the dip tube out well too.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have a washer hose that attaches to my slop sink, I invert the keg over the sink and stick the hose straight up and crank the hot water at full pressure. 5-10 seconds of this and the keg is pretty well rinsed, but I make sure to rinse the dip tube separately. Then star san.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggoo View Post
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I am really struggling with this. I fear I have ruined two batches of kegged beer. I have started to use oxyclean to clean my kegs before filling them. (Prior I just used a water/scrub method and this had worked well, but I wanted to ensure I was getting everything.) I cannot pinpoint it yet, as I have done three kegs using Oxyclean--but I have two kegs that smell and taste like harsh chemicals. One (while still using oxyclean and rinsing twice) came out fine. The other one has had a couple of months in kegs and has mellowed out a bit, but doesnt taste quite right. The latest, is extremely offensive -- like to the point I cannot bring myself to consume it. Am I not rinsing well enough? Is it true that I should be using hot water to rinse oxyclean instead of cold water? Could it be something else, given that the one batch mellowed over time? I believe the next time I keg, I obviously will go back to my water+scrub methodology, but I fear that I have ruined 10 gallons.
Here's some info: Percarbonate (unscented) - alkali
Oxi-Clean and other generics
Dissolved in water, it releases hydrogen
peroxide and soda ash (sodium carbonate).
Breaks down organic solids.
Be sure to use unscented, especially
for any plastics
works best in hot water
1-2 TBSP in 5 gal does a great job- a
little more for heavy cleaning

PBW - alkali
Percarbonate based with a chelating
agent — attaches to organic matter
and drops it from suspension
Works best in hot water
1-2 TBSP in 5 gal does a great joba
little more for heavy cleaning

Good luck....

Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

OP do you sanitize after you us the oxy ? I let my kegs soak with oxy then rinse and fill with starstan untill I'm ready to keg.

Pat

Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
kinggoo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I definitely do sanitize after oxy.
I use MAYBE a tablespoon, fill keg up to 3/4 of the way.. shake it up, empty, and rinse. Then I add ~5gallons of starsan, empty that, and proceed to fill the keg with precious beer. I'm at a loss really - I made sure to get unscented oxiclean, and it doesn't smell like the powder at all. I haven't had the stones yet to mix a little bit with a pint of water to see if it's a familiar taste (don't plan on it).

-goo

Quick Reply