Oxyclean mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitthewall79

Reaction score
So this was my first time using oxyclean as a cleaner. I used the oxyclean free stuff, I used 3/4 of a cup to 5 gallons, I then let it sit for about 20 - 30 min, I then poured it out, forgot to rinse, but then I sanitized with star san, I then poured out my extra star san water and put my brew in primary. How bad did I mess up by not rinsing the oxyclean?

Colorblind brewing

Flavor beats color every time

Did you fill it with diluted star san, or just swish a smaller amount around? Either way I would guess it turns out okay. Maybe someone here has done the same thing and can comment.

BTW, you can leave the Oxy overnight to clean up dirty carboys and buckets. I rinse it out a couple of times first, but otherwise the Oxy does all the scrubbing for me.

Did you fill it with diluted star san, or just swish a smaller amount around? Either way I would guess it turns out okay. Maybe someone here has done the same thing and can comment.

BTW, you can leave the Oxy overnight to clean up dirty carboys and buckets. I rinse it out a couple of times first, but otherwise the Oxy does all the scrubbing for me.

I used a spray bottle, and sprayed everything down, and the run off that was on the bottom, I swished it around

Colorblind brewing

I'd say that if you didn't notice any undissolved granules of Oxy and there wasn't any soapy foam you should be fine. Leftover granules might have an affect on the taste of the beer.

So this was my first time using oxyclean as a cleaner. I used the oxyclean free stuff, I used 3/4 of a cup to 5 gallons, I then let it sit for about 20 - 30 min, I then poured it out, forgot to rinse, but then I sanitized with star san, I then poured out my extra star san water and put my brew in primary. How bad did I mess up by not rinsing the oxyclean?

Colorblind brewing

3/4 of a cup? What were you cleaning!?$&!?@

Back