The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oxyclean for Floor Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Bassman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Oxyclean for Floor Cleaning

I know this has nothing to do with brewing but a lot of people use oxyclean here. My kitchen floor is old and stained, but the worst part is that I made the mistake of using mop n glo on it for a while. What's left is a dirty grime that I have scrubbed and cannot get off. I tried scrubbing with cleaners and tried ammonia. The only thing that worked is bleach, but I really don't want to be on my knees scrubbing with ammonia.

Before I buy it, would oxyclean work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I don't think it's going to strip Mop N Glo. What material is your floor made of?

Oxyclean is cheap, though. So give it a shot.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Oxy seems to work best for me on food related items, like beer. Doubt it would help the mop n glo.

From Mop n glo website - Use a solution of 1/4 cup all purpose cleaner (such as LYSOL® All Purpose Cleaner with out Bleach) and 1 cup household ammonia in ½ gallon of warm water. Wet the area with the solution and mop.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It's sad that a product has to include instructions on how to remove said product.

My wife and I installed a laminate floor and got one of the Billy Mays Orange Glo laminate floor products for it. What a mistake! Streaks! And it had to be reapplied like twice a week or it would start looking horrific!

We tried EVERYTHING to get it off. Eventually resorting to acetone at full strength patch by patch. When we started searching for ways to remove it, we found nothing for horror stories.

That product is now off the market.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
Bassman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's a vinyl floor. I am only renting and hopefully will find a place to buy this year so I don't want to invest in it.

It sounds like I'll stick with bleach because acetone is horrible!

Quick Reply