Oxy Clean Water / Sanitize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I soaked my fermenter in oxyclean overnight, has anyone use the same water to sanitize? Could you put iodophor in this water the next day and sanitize the same bucket?
Just wondering:)

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I would suggest rinsing with regular water, then a mild vinegar water rinse, then another water only rinse, followed by a Star-San sanitization (or iodophor in your case).

The vinegar gets the powdery oxy residue off with no scrubbing or anything.

I would suggest rinsing with regular water, then a mild vinegar water rinse, then another water only rinse, followed by a Star-San sanitization (or iodophor in your case).

The vinegar gets the powdery oxy residue off with no scrubbing or anything.

I just finished putting some bottles in a vinegar solution, after a long oxyclean soak. I'll rinse them later this afternoon. Works well for me.

What's with vinegar? Never heard that!!
Ehh, I was just brewing and wondering if it's been done. I've already rinsed and sterilized with iodophor. Don't want to say it but was thinking about being lazy:-/

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I soaked my fermenter in oxyclean overnight, has anyone use the same water to sanitize?

Good question!

Do no use oxyclean for sanitizing. It is a cleanser, not a sanitizer. You want to rinse the living **** out of the fermenter assembly after the oxyclean soak. After rinsing, you leave it open to possible "contamination," which is fine up until you're about to pour wort into it. Right before you pour wort into it, sanitize every little bit of the fermenter assembly (tank, yeast catcher, and everything else) like crazy with StarSan, and you're good to go!

I have an :off: request for you. I made a yeast catcher (inspired by yours) and posted it on squeeky's thread. Please take a look at it, and let me know whatcha think, and if you could please explain your process, i.e., when you first remove catcher, etc.

Back