New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > oxy clean free - cheap!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
finlayj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default oxy clean free - cheap!

I don't know how popular Big Lots is, or how much of a national presence they have, but I got a nice sized bucket of Oxy Clean Free last night for $5.

Compared the the $6 or $7 I paid for one half the size, I thought it was a great deal.

Question however. When I got my first bucket of oxy clean, I thought I had the "free" one, because it had chlorine free advertised. Now that I've actually found the true 'free' one, I know the difference.

I just cleaned all of my bottles in an oxy clean bath this past weekend using the first oxy clean.

My question is; should I reclean the bottles using the 'free' version? I'm leaning towards it, because I don't want any off taste in my beers.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Nice, I've been looking for that stuff and come up empty handed so far. I'll try big lots.

Do your bottles smell like oxy? I've used the regular stuff before and had no issues. I think plastic picks up the scent much easier than glass.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
finlayj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
Nice, I've been looking for that stuff and come up empty handed so far. I'll try big lots.

Do your bottles smell like oxy? I've used the regular stuff before and had no issues. I think plastic picks up the scent much easier than glass.
Haven't smelled them yet, they didn't when i first used it.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
EdMerican
Angry Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I keep oxy-clean on hand at my house at all times for various cleaning tasks. Brew related or not. I try to keep free, but from time to time the store I happen to be buying it from at the time only has the scented stuff. I haven't noticed any problems, myself, but I always give a GOOD rinsing with hot, then cold water. If you don't have a jet bottle washer, get one. Best money I have spent on brewquipment (aside from a keg system)

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can see or even buy one here

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-equipment/cleaning-and-sanitizing/cleaning-equipment/jet-bottle-washer.html

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Last edited by EdMerican; 01-19-2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: missing link

Quick Reply