Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvanwie View Post
Unless there's some sort of ultra-pure Oxiclean being sold in a different part of the store that I don't know about, you're splitting hairs by pointing out that Oxiclean is not laundry detergent.

The only place I ever see Oxiclean sold is in the laundry aisle. No, Oxiclean is not "laundry detergent" per se (much like Miracle Whip is not mayonnaise), but the powdered version is used almost exclusively for laundry these days - at least here in the Midwest - and I do know of some folks who use Oxiclean as both an additive to and substitute for laundry detergent.
There are laundry detergents with contain Oxiclean as one of their ingredients. He is trying to make sure the difference between straight Oxiclean and a detergent containing Oxiclean is understood. I've also normally seen Oxiclean in the aisle with the laundry detergents.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 620

I've never found anything called "Oxyclean" anywhere except with the laundry detergents. The stuff I've been using on my brewery equipment is "Oxyclean MAX", in a blue plastic bottle, with a grey screw-off cap.

Is that not safe for cleaning brewing items?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I've never found anything called "Oxyclean" anywhere except with the laundry detergents. The stuff I've been using on my brewery equipment is "Oxyclean MAX", in a blue plastic bottle, with a grey screw-off cap.

Is that not safe for cleaning brewing items?
Are you talking about Oxiclean Max Force? I've seen the little booster packets labelled this way. I assume they are just a measured amount of straight Oxiclean. There is also a liquid version of this I think. They don't just have tubs of Oxiclean powder at your store?

Safe for cleaning brewing items? Probably, but it's not specifically what we are referring to when talking about cleaning with Oxiclean. I mean, plenty of things would be safe for cleaning with.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #24
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Ah, I notice you are in Ontario, maybe it's harder to find tubs of the powder there? I imagine they are around or some similar oxygenated powder cleanser.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Does OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover contain any detergents?
The formula contains non-ionic detergents.
Quote:
What are the Blue Crystals/What do they do?
The blue crystals in OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover are soil-dispersing agents. This helps remove soil & stains more easily.
http://www.oxiclean.com/FAQ.aspx

There’s a little bit of detergent in Oxi, but not much. The Kroger generic appears to be identical, but the WalMart Sun brand is straight sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate (no detergent.)

Since Oxi has a bunch of oxygen and not much detergent and PBW is the other way around I mix them in a two step process.

1. Dissolve the Oxi in warm-hot water.

Make sure it’s dissolved, because it is neutralizing the water hardness, making the PBW work better.

2 Add the PBW, wait for it to dissolve.

You’re done! It depends on the water, but with moderately hard water, I use half a scoop in four gallons with a quarter scoop of PBW. A scoop is 31g, a tablespoon is13g.

One advantage of doing this is that the detergent stays around after the oxygen is gone (about six hours), good for soaking.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #26
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
There are laundry detergents with contain Oxiclean as one of their ingredients. He is trying to make sure the difference between straight Oxiclean and a detergent containing Oxiclean is understood. I've also normally seen Oxiclean in the aisle with the laundry detergents.
That was in fact exactly the point I wanted to make.

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
RickyG
Recipes 

after you wash the bottles in the oxy solution....do you rinse them out?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyG View Post
after you wash the bottles in the oxy solution....do you rinse them out?
Yes you can then sanitize them with an appropriate product like Star San.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Never heard of oxy clean.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #30
jbay76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, Oxyclean is a laundry detergent. But it the end, it works on redox reaction principles, just like any other oxidative cleaning product. If oxycleanwanted to spend the million or so required to show its food safe, it would. But its main focus group makes it profiable w/o the need to expand, I guess. In the end, its all chemistry, jusyt like brewing

Drink more, care less

Quick Reply