Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oxiclean in Better Bottle Fermentor for Weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
ronllave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Oxiclean in Better Bottle Fermentor for Weeks

I have left a solution of oxiclean in my plastic Better Bottle fermentor for about 3 weeks now. Is it OK to just rinse and sanitize before using, or did the prolonged contact with oxiclean ruin it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't think oxi can do much to plastics. It kills organics and oxidizes metals, but I think plastics should be OK. Others will chime in I'm sure...

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2757 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You are going to have to rinse heavily to get rid of the residue (or scale) that gets left behind when you have prolonged contact with oxyclean and bottles or gear. (I do the same thing often-leave it soaking for several weeks.)

If the "scale" persists despite the rinsings, use a weak acid, like diluted starsan, vinegar, or lemon juice in water.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
bobbytuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Why dilute the StarSan? Why not simply soak the better bottle in Star San for an hour?

Ditto for anything soaked in OxyClean. A normal strength StarSan rinse -- 1oz in 5 gallons of water -- will get rid of the OxyClean.

Am I missing something?

(Or use citric acid if you don't want to use Star San -- but we all have Star San, and religiously squeeze the little bottle to measure an ounce one or more times during a brew day, so why dilute it?)

Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

rinse your heart out and i know peoples love for starsan if you dont have any id go with vinegar for the acid just dont leave too long cause that will leach if left for days

makng a site about homebrewing for fun you can check it out a hbhda.weebly.com . im still working on it and any tips are appreciated

Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
ronllave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was planning on rinsing and sanitizing with star-san anywayson brew day. So I will just rinse a few extra times before sanitizing and hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks!

Quick Reply