The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > opinions on this kettle please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default opinions on this kettle please

I still brew in my kitchen on the stove. Its a gas stove and I can do up to about 7.5 gallons no problem. That being said, I am looking to get a new economical kettle. I don't want to spend a lot right now since hopefully when I move I will get a whole brewing system and not be kitchen brewing anymore. I never brew more than 6 gallon batches at a time.

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/polar-...e-thermometer/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Well, IMO, it has a few things you don't need and doesn't have some things that would be of use.

Don't need:
Thermometer
Torpedo screen

Better off having:
3 piece Stainless ball valve (you can take it apart, while still on the kettle to give it a complete cleaning).
Dip tube inside.

If you have some tools (good drill and step bit) you can make your own kettle and save at least a few dollars. You could even use an aluminum pot as the base (get it from a restaurant supply place to save a good amount) and build it in steps. Start off with a ball valve and dip tube. IMO, a dip is FAR more useful than the torpedo screen. You can then add other things as you find you actually could use them. Such as sight tube/glass, thermometer (I don't have them installed on my MLT or BK and don't plan on installing one in my HLT), etc.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

+1 to what Golddiggie said, I started with an aluminum pot before I built my keggle, I have a dip tube in it and am glad I do, no tipping or leaning the pot to get out what I need. I have a sight glass with a thermometer from Brew Hardware and love it, it is a really nice piece. All of what I put on my keggle you can put on a 10 gallon aluminum pot.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 52

That kettle is 24 or 26 gauge stainless which is very thin. I personally wouldn't recommend that. If you're on a big budget buy aluminum; it's the cheapest option out there. Make sure you build an oxide layer on the aluminum first.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I definitely would prefer SS. Basically I am looking for a stepping stone kettle. I am hoping to get a kettle screen instead of a FB since I am going with the 10 gallon as opposed to 15 gallon. Can kettle screens be used with Spike Pots? I don't know rules for vendors, so private message me if you aren't allowed to "push" your products in a thread.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 52

We don't follow rules

Any standard 1/2" NPT fitting will screen directly into the fitting welded in the kettle. Something like a Bazooka screen is commonly used.

-Ben

Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Ajgeo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 22

That polarware kettle is a bit thin, but would probably still be fine. Alternatively, see if this one will fit on your stove. Add a 1/2 plug in the thermometer coupler, a stainless ball valve and a stainless diptube. Finish it off with some silicone tubing and a hose barb so you can drain right into your fermenting vessel.

Quick Reply