Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ongoing foam problem with Nostalgia Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
snb778
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ongoing foam problem with Nostalgia Kegerator

I don't believe for probably 7-8x 1/6 barrel kegs i've had in this thing have I been able to get it to pour properly unless I have the pressure at about 1-2psi (where it just about trickles out).

I've tried hose lengths from 3ft to 5 ft. did not change. The line looks clear of foam, but the second I start to pour, I get 50+% foam cups just about every time. I've got a feeling its because of the tap fitting

I literally had to heat up and stretch the end of the hose to fit around the fitting on top of my sankey

The tap hole is only about 1/8" wide where I have a 3/8" hose which goes to my sankey which is a 1/4" fitting (gettin 1x 3/8" hose around 2 different sized fittings is very difficult)... Here is the sankey I have with the same fitting

I believe i'm essentially pinching the beer as it goes up the line... What can I do to correct this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Have you tried depressurizing the keg a few times with that relief valve?

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 09-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
snb778
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed View Post
Have you tried depressurizing the keg a few times with that relief valve?
yes, I have to do this every time I pour. If I do this every time though, won't this make the beer go flat over an extended period? (like opening up a 2Lt. bottle of soda over and over and over and over)

Either way, I shouldn't have to do this every time.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1224 Times on 992 Posts

Are you saying you didn't use a barb and swivel nut for the beer line?

As for the foam...are these commercial beers you're trying to dispense? If so, the run o' the mill BMC beers are typically carbed higher than run o' the mill home brews, and a five foot 3/16" ID line is definitely going to be challenged to contain CO2 break-out as it just doesn't put enough restriction on the flow. And if you're beer line is actually 1/4" ID, you'll never get a good pour with less than around 20 feet of line (probably need even more than that!)

Anyway...I suggest you pick up 12 feet of 3/16" beer line (and not that vinyl crapola from Home Depot or Lowes) and start with the full length in place. Set your gas pressure per this carbonation table using the beer temperature and, say, 3 volumes of CO2, as the indices.

Give that set up time to stabilize and then start pouring!

Cheers!

Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
snb778
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Are you saying you didn't use a barb and swivel nut for the beer line?

As for the foam...are these commercial beers you're trying to dispense? If so, the run o' the mill BMC beers are typically carbed higher than run o' the mill home brews, and a five foot 3/16" ID line is definitely going to be challenged to contain CO2 break-out as it just doesn't put enough restriction on the flow. And if you're beer line is actually 1/4" ID, you'll never get a good pour with less than around 20 feet of line (probably need even more than that!)

Anyway...I suggest you pick up 12 feet of 3/16" beer line (and not that vinyl crapola from Home Depot or Lowes) and start with the full length in place. Set your gas pressure per this carbonation table using the beer temperature and, say, 3 volumes of CO2, as the indices.

Give that set up time to stabilize and then start pouring!

Cheers!
I have never had a BMC beer in there, all home brewed or bought from a microbrewery. I currently just tapped some Ichabad Pumpkin Ale... The line I have is 3/16's (thought it was 3/8) but it connects to a 3/8" nozzle at the sankey (had to heat and stretch it to fit it) and a 3/16" nozzle at the tap. I will try the longer line, but as it stands I can't get a good pour anything over 2-3

Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb778

I have never had a BMC beer in there, all home brewed or bought from a microbrewery. I currently just tapped some Ichabad Pumpkin Ale... The line I have is 3/16's (thought it was 3/8) but it connects to a 3/8" nozzle at the sankey (had to heat and stretch it to fit it) and a 3/16" nozzle at the tap. I will try the longer line, but as it stands I can't get a good pour anything over 2-3
Pressure, temp, line length, line diameter and line type (barrier tubing has a different line resistance than vinyl) have to be in balance. I run 12 psi at 36ish degrees on 12' of standard 3/16 vinyl lines.
If you are fighting foam, the first thing I'd try is a ridiculous amount of tubing. Maybe 15'. The standard vinyl stuff is pretty cheap.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
snb778
Recipes 

I think I found my culprit... or at least the main one.... having a 3/8" tube get pinched into 3/16 faucet... as i stated earlier there is no foam in the line as it pours, but it comes out foam, which leads me to believe its foaming as it goes into the faucet

http://postimage.org/image/6xk828od7/ <---- hose fits properly on this, but does not fit onto sankey nozzle.. i had to literally heat and stretch it on
http://postimage.org/image/7u2d3pj4x/
im going to have to get a new tap

Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 125

It'll foam as it comes out of the faucet if there isn't adequate pressure drop throughout the tubing.

I'd second what others have said: get 15 feet of 3/16" ID tubing and report back.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
The line I have is 3/16's (thought it was 3/8) but it connects to a 3/8"
Quote: