Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > OnederBrew.....anyone try this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #51
onederbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed View Post
whats the point of having a 5 gallon conical??? Kind of pointless other than to claim you have a conical
The advantage of a 5 gallon (6 gallon total volume) is that it easily fits into almost any refrigerator or chest freezer for temperature control for fermentation, crash chilling and even dispensing. Fits great into a Kegerator.
The size is rhe same as corny kegs, so if you go that route you ferment in the OneDerBrew use it as a unitank, reuse the yeast and use the corny as a holding tank like a brewery does.
You can also use a 6 or 7 gal. bucket to get a total of 7 or 8 gallons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #52
onederbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
They were demonstrating these at NHC in Seattle/Bellevue. Seeing that bucket inflated like a balloon and bulging out at the seams while under pressure did not fill me with confidence. Now, I have no direct experience with the product, perhaps it works a treat. However, it just looked like a disaster waiting to happen.
We have never had a bucket explode, we did have some gasket leaks on some of the first units, but now we test every unit shipped.
We have inflated 10 units to 35 psi over 1000 times each with no failures.
The safety bung consistently blows out at below 25 psi
The buckets are rated to 15 psi from the manufacturer but that is for a wide temperature range.
The polyethylene does lose some strength at the lip at temps above 80 F.
But that is above fermentation temperatures.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #53
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Some pictures or a new video of the "impoved" product would be very helpful.

Maybe you could find out who does the injection work for the Cooper's "burp" fermenter and get a few tips. Their product (just a regular old fermenter ) comes out of the box as smooth as glass (inside and out) with no places for nasties to hide. Not one little piece of left over injection sprue anywhere. It's also designed for very easy cleanup and sanitation. With that in mind you might be better off doing away with the threading for the valves/fittings and simply go with reinforced walls and use quality washers/gaskets for traditional bulkhead fittings.

I did a little wedding photography in the past and learned:

"Never include a crappy picture in with the proofs."

IMHO

bosco

Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #54
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

Also another question for the maker or anyone else that saw the answer. On the onederbrew websites it says the system is " expandable to 20 gallons in low cost increments." I did not see a product on the website that makes it a full 15 gallons larger and I'm also curious what the expansion would be. A 20 gal bucket?

Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #55
atonofhops
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I found a 10 gallon plastic bucket(read as 12) its hd food grade plastic with the same dia lid opening as my 5 gallon buckets from a plastics company localy in South East Va. I think this thing has great potential. If I can see internal pics of the new product I will buy one! I am in the process of going to 10 gallon batches, I also would never carbonate in the fermentor as designed not because I think its a poor idea I bottle and keg all my brews for easy transport to parties and gatherings.

For most of the coments I think its funny a new product comes out and people hop(pun intended)on the bandwagon of gripes and complaints with no experience with said product. Execpt for 1 person. Perhaps I will order one and try it out anyway.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #56
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 619 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I've mentioned this before. Perhaps I'm on the aforementioned griping and complaining bandwagon, but this quote (verbatim from the catalog):

Quote:
We do not recommend pressurizing and do not guarantee your bucket
does not inspire confidence. In fact, it reeks of a company not willing to accept any responsibility or liability for their product. No thanks, Onederbrew. Your product is suspect, and your business practices are deplorable.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #57
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I have brewed a beligan pale ale and put it in the onederbrew now. It's still in there actually. It didn't explode...but I was pretty paranoid about it. The dial for regulating pressure is just a screw in knob with rubber gaskets. You tighten it to the point it stops leaking co2 and can maintain pressure. This worked pretty good. Problem was... after the first couple days with it open and regular fermentation... I went to try and do 15psi... It was trial and error to get it 'set' to 15psi. I did finally get it...but if you tightened it too much it could be a mess for you if you didn't check it frequently. I think I will most likely keg it this weekend...This could be interesting in and of itself

Overall... so far so good. If the molding inside the cone has been fixed (mine has the molding issue, but nothing I can do about that) It's not too bad. The supplied bucket is pretty small, I have not tried sealing it with a larger bucket such as the 6.5 gallon ones most use for brewing. This is what I will attempt after I empty the current beer out of it.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #58
blakermagee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Incorrect quoting of website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
I've mentioned this before. Perhaps I'm on the aforementioned griping and complaining bandwagon, but this quote (verbatim from the catalog):

does not inspire confidence. In fact, it reeks of a company not willing to accept any responsibility or liability for their product. No thanks, Onederbrew. Your product is suspect, and your business practices are deplorable.
They do not recommend you use a seperately purchased bucket and pressurize as it does NOT have the safety bung feature like their buckets do.....read a bit closer!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #59
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I just don't see the point of buying this for $160 and still having to assemble it. You can get a 15 gallon inductor tank with all the stainless sanitary fittings you could ever want for under a hundred.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #60
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by onederbrew View Post
We have never had a bucket explode, we did have some gasket leaks on some of the first units, but now we test every unit shipped.
We have inflated 10 units to 35 psi over 1000 times each with no failures.
The safety bung consistently blows out at below 25 psi
The buckets are rated to 15 psi from the manufacturer but that is for a wide temperature range.
The polyethylene does lose some strength at the lip at temps above 80 F.
But that is above fermentation temperatures.
I would be interested to see how the product holds up over time. It seems like you've done some testing on your end.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply