Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > OnederBrew.....anyone try this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #31
noiz2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To give them a bit of a break, you can buy the cone (and drill your own holes - threaded ports are already there) and use your own bucket and you get a plastic conical for $60 and fittings. That is about $200 less than buying a 7 gallon plastic conical from the other folks.

You have to compare apples to apples. It's not a SS conical. So if you want to play with a plastic conical would you rather spend $60 and some fittings or $300? They are both plastic and really this is safer in that you can swap out parts where the other one it's one piece. It gets infected and your in trouble. Same as a plastic anything. The fittings are all 1/2" NPT so there is no reason the holes should be small, and I have heard from others that with small SS conicals the yeast tends to just stick because there isn't enough pressure to push out the yeast, so building up a bit of pressure is probably a good thing.

BUT you don't have to. You can set the relief valve to anything below 15 pis including wide open.

Personally I don't find it very appealing to serve out of the fermentor so I would probably keg it but? Maybe for a specialty brew?

how he meant the "savings" to come in is that you are not going to tie up a SS fermentor to serve from so the fact that for the price of a SS fermentor you could get a bunch of these and not keg is the "savings".

And lastly you can hook up your CO2 to one of the relief ports (it's 1/2" npt) and feed gas in the top if you really wanted to.

Personally if I was going to try a plastic conical this would probably be the one. But part of the reason I would go to conicals over buckets is the ability to scrub the suckers clean, so I'm not sold on the plastic conicals. It's true that I have had no problems with buckets so I should probable also not have problems with a conical... but a bucket is $10 or so.

I would love to try one though so if one of you has one and wants to melt it down send it to me instead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #32
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 96

My main issue with it isn't that it's plastic. It's the molding of the cone. To me it's the equivalent of buying a fermentor bucket that comes pre scratched...

BJCP A0936 Certified Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"

Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
noiz2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

well it's not actually scratched it has some ridges, there is a difference. I'm not saying it's any good, I have no idea - never even seen one in person, just that a lot of the criticisms were not really fair.
There are a few folks who get new buckets every year "just in case", for those people a plastic fermentor that costs more than $10 is crazy. There are some who have been using the same buckets for a decade or more. Someplace in that continuum there is probably a sweet spot for this device.

Heck if your brewing sour beers nooks and crannies are probably a good thing ;~)

Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #34
mors
Recipes 

I think the criticisms are fair. The cone will be more prone to infection because of the molding 'ridge' and poorly drilled holes. That is just fact. I own one of these units. The ridge is actually worse than a scratch. the worry with a scratch is you get bacteria in there and then it gets pressure applied over it and the plastic edges of the scratch get pushed down over the scratch 'sealing' in the bacteria. The ridge would be even more prone to this along both sides of it. The fittings that come on the fermenter are lame at best. Yes they can be replaced, but that's just added cost. The unit should just come with standard fittings. Would make it more appealing.

It's true you could use a bucket fermenter forever, however I doubt that would be the case if it were poorly molded and had a big scratch or ridge in it new.

I think this would be worth what they are charging if it didn't have these issues. The molding issue may seem minor to some, but it is a fundamental flaw in brewing logic.

I did buy one of these and these are just my observations of the unit. I have had it since the NHC and have been unwilling to put a beer in it yet. I should be brewing a 14% double chocolate stout soon, so I might throw a second runnings beer in there and try it out.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #35
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

This is the guy who thinks everyone should be drinking terrible, cloudy homebrew. I also love how he posts videos to youtube to just take them down a couple days later when people let him know his ideas aren't great. At least he's no longer microwaving the wort (I hope).

Old 11-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #36
mors
Recipes 

yeah I'll agree he is not demonstrating advanced or even correct brewing techniques in his videos. But I do think his product has potential. I am liking the fact he makes the clear clones now. That's really nice. It does look like in his latest videos he has fittings that don't suck on the fermentor. If he has the molding issues corrected I think the product would be well worth the money.

Source: He posted this video on Facebook this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tQLXuJ2EE9s

The clamp seems like it could potentially be a bit of a pain...but overall I don't think it will be too much of an issue to spend an extra 5 mins setting that up. I couldn't tell if the molding issue was still there from the video. No inside shots of the cone just outside of the clear cone...but I didn't see the molding...

Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #37
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

The bulging bucket in the video makes me super nervous. I'm kinda upset that this product is getting such bad reviews when I first saw it I thought it was a neat idea. Good thing I found this thread to show me some insight on the product. I hope they fix all the problems so that I can still try it.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #38
noiz2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I will give the guy credit for listening to the criticisms. There are a lot of changes in how he shows to work and in components of the system.

Dan kind of convinced me on the fit and finish issues with the cone, so unless I know those have changed I would be looking at getting just the cone and doing my own drilling and reaming and maybe flame polishing. The ridges if they still exist would be a problem not easily corrected after the fact so?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
noiz2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
The bulging bucket in the video makes me super nervous. I'm kinda upset that this product is getting such bad reviews when I first saw it I thought it was a neat idea. Good thing I found this thread to show me some insight on the product. I hope they fix all the problems so that I can still try it.
You don't have to carbonate in the fermentor. You can back off the pressure valve or actually just replace all of that with a hose into a blow off jar.

I don't think I would dispense from the fermentor anyway.

And it does have a pressure plug at the top that should blow before you have a bucket failure. This is another thing that was added because of people pointing out issues.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #40
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

Yeah I saw all the pressure reliefs and I also keg so I would never serve from it. But people don't always follow the directions and components fail so I would still be nervous that it would blow up and hurt some one. As others said buckets aren't suppose to be pressurized. I agree with leaving the valve open and hooking up a blow off tube rig to make me feel safer. I also noticed lots of new additions to the rig. I would still like to see the top bucket white because of leeching. But I'm really happy to see the vendor is taking all of this criticism with stride and making his product better.

Quick Reply