Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > OnederBrew.....anyone try this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #21
motorhead69
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Thanks Mors for the video. Yeah those seems and chunks scare me too, they are to rough and look like great places to get bacteria growing.

It would seem to me that if the cone was cast without seams and the holes in place instead of being drilled out it may have turned out better.

As for the picnic taps you could stick a racking cane into the tap and a hose on to that to get the beer into a keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #22
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Well they are just modeled after picnic taps. The nozzle seems shorter. I'm sure I can get some tubing on it... It will just be a pain.

I do feel like it could be a cool product if not for the manufacturing issues. I thought it was cool enough to buy at the nhc after too much drinking LOL.

BJCP A0936 Certified Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"

Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
onederbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have tried it over 900 times. there are no flavors coming from the plastic. The plastic is polyethylene and polypropylene which adds less flavor than stainless steel.
(all cans are plastic lined)The product will continue to improve over time .
In reality it does every thing real breweries do plus more in that the cost is low enough that beer does not have to be transferred from the fermenter to a holding tank.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Love the idea and ingenuity - really. I'll stick with stainless though. No way I'd put that under pressure. I've been witness to a plastic keg exploding under similar pressures if not lower. Not a pretty thing.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 86

These guys came by my store and asked us to take one and see it there was any interest in it from my customers. Victor took it and said "yeah we'll play with it" I took it out of the box and told him to ship it back just because of the poor molding. The drilled hole and the shards of leftover plastic still stuck to the drilled port. and the design issues I saw with the very small hole to dump yeast and trub. I guess if its under pressure it would assist in that but ahhhhh I dont know man looked a like an infection issue to me.

Now, Victor didn't send it back and if OnderBrew wants to "donate" it to me I would be happy to test it for them shoot a video and write a review. I'm just not going to do it "AND" pay the $100 for it.

He said he has used it over 900 times? Really thats a lot of brewing....How long have you been testing it? I have been brewing 12 years and I haven't brewed 900 batches myself....

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
People Like This 
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by onederbrew
I have tried it over 900 times. there are no flavors coming from the plastic. The plastic is polyethylene and polypropylene which adds less flavor than stainless steel.
In reality it does every thing real breweries do plus more in that the cost is low enough that beer does not have to be transferred from the fermenter to a holding tank.
+1 on doubting you've brewed 4500+ gallons of beer in this. That's also the first time I've heard anyone claim that stainless steel adds off-flavor. And what does low cost have to do with the need to transfer?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #27
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Yeah, the plastic is a deal breaker for me, too. It's too much money for something too easy to scratch.

I played with a design like this a few years back, and even called up some stainless fabricators. My goal was to get a conical bottom that could mount firmly on top of a commodity kettle. Finish your boil, chill, strap on the cone, let the trub drop out, and pitch your yeast. Eventually I lost interest, but I think it would be a very cool product if anyone ever did the details right.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
mors
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onederbrew
I don't think getting off flavors from the plastic was on anyones mind. Getting infections from the poor molding inside the cone however... Honestly. I think with proper fittings instead of modified picnic taps and smooth molding on the inside of this... It would be a decent product.

BJCP A0936 Certified Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"

ronzorelli Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
onederbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can change out any of the fittings to any 1/2 npt part.
This started 5 years ago with a 1 gallon version.
I can make so many batches because of the simplicity, when I want to make a quick batch I use Hop Extract YC-Tetra from YAKIMA CHIEF ( for bittering) and then only have to boil for a short time.
I also make alot of smaller batches in the 5 gallon set up. There is still plenty of C02.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
mors
Recipes 

This is true, but to me with the poor molding on the side of the code and the holes drilled in the plastic cone for the ports... it wouldn't be worth it to replace those fittings.

Quick Reply