Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > One-Step Won't Dissolve

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
NigeltheBold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default One-Step Won't Dissolve

I tried using One-Step as a cleanser for the first time the other day, and I came across a strange problem. I add the one-step to a tub of hot water, and stir for about five minutes. The problem is, there are lots of tiny white particles floating around in the solution and eventually sinking to the bottom. As much as I stir, the particles don't seem to dissolve. I'm worried that the particles will stick to whatever I'm cleaning and end up in my beer.

Has anyone else had problems dissolving one-step? I've read some other posts about one-step leaving residue, but I haven't read anything about the tiny white particles. Maybe I need to let it sit much longer before soaking equipment in it? Or maybe the particles will dissolve as the equipment is soaking?

Let me know what you think...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Hobnob
Recipes 

I haven't used One-Step in a while, but when I did, I always shook the container to help "fluff" the powder. I do that with my PBW too. If that doesn't work, you can always try to use a small amount less than you are currently using.

One-Step always left a film on my bottles when dried; which is easy to rinse off with water after bottling. By definition, you can't clean and sanitize in "one step." I use PBW for a cleaner in hot water, rinse thoroughly with the same temp water, then sanitize with Star San. A large bottle of Star San lasts a LONG time and no film either.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

I've used Oxyclean in the past, and rinsed really well after soaking anything in it. It worked pretty well and I never had any problems with it. The reason I tried One-Step was so I wouldn't have to rinse everything after soaking. But if I have to rinse to get the residue off, I might as well use Oxyclean or another cleanser that requires rinsing.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
WinoWilly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use OxiClean Free to clean and Star-San to sanitize.

Quick Reply