The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > One Step vs. Star San vs. Iodophor. Which is best and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use both One Step (argued that it's not a sanitizer) and Iodaphor. I don't have any particular preference but the staining aspect of Iodaphor has pros and cons. The good thing is that you can visibly see that it's still viable. The downside is that it stains plastic in diluted form and stains just about everything in concentrated form (clothes, hands, carpets) but just be careful.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
FerociouslyTed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What about the slick, filmy residue that reportedly accumulates with prolonged use of Star San? Any experience with that?

Old 10-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I actually find that one-step leaves bottles slicker than star-san, so I've stopped using one-step on bottling day.

I think I am gonna use my iodophor for carboys, just to prevent the volcano-foam effect when racking

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I recently switched to Starsan from onestep and I really don't know why I waited so long....Edwort summed it up & it does rock! (Truth be told I have used diluted bleach, onestep and & Starsan to date and haven't had an infection with any of them...knock on wood).

Though I have only used it for the past two brews and I clean and rinse all of my equipment post-brew, I have not noticed any residue.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #16
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have used One Step, diluted bleach and Star san. They all worked for me. I never had any off flavors, or infections. However, pound for pound, star san is the best. Bleach is a PITA because you have to rinse and rinse thoroughly. One Step is a pain because it is so expensive (yes I know a container is cheap, but you go through it so quickly). Starsan is just great. There is nothing that I dislike about it. Even the bubbles are no big deal for me. And as a matter of fact, I believe I heard that a little residual foam will actually benefit your yeast. I have been using my starsan for 6 months or more, and I have only gone through less than a quarter of the bottle. This stuff will last forever. I have never noticed a slick residue. Obviously it is slick when it is wet, but nothing remains.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #17
rohanski
Recipes 

I've had so many infections using one step I think I'll change my name to "Infection". I recently switched to Oxyclean for the big crud followed by Starsan for sanitation. The reason for this is I don't want to rinse as I use well water stored in above ground tank. Everything I do is either boiled or sanitized with Starsan. My last two batches came out good. The previous 4 batches using one step were all bad.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociouslyTed
What about the slick, filmy residue that reportedly accumulates with prolonged use of Star San? Any experience with that?
I've never seen it.

Iodophor may be a little cheaper, but it needs longer contact time, doesn't keep and stains. I can deal with some bubbles.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #19
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What's wrong with bleach?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #20
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejaz
What's wrong with bleach?
Because most folks use it in too high a concentration for no-rinse, you can leave plenty behind and get off flavors. If you are rinsing after, you have possibly undone the sanitization that you just performed anyway. Personally, I have a bunch of shirts with bleach stains on them....

I find the advantages of the other products outweigh any of the advantages of bleach (primarily the ready availability).

Quick Reply