Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is One Step by Logic a cleaner or sanitizer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
Mr. Mojo Rising
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Is One Step by Logic a cleaner or sanitizer

Is my One Step a true replacement for the bleach I have been using to sanitize? It says no-rinse cleanser?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One Step is a percarbonate cleaner. It is made from sodium carbonate, and a bleaching agent that releases hydrogen peroxide. It isnt a bleach, and is more suited for brewing. For sanitizing, try Iodophor, Star San or Sani Clean. Remember, there are cleaners, and there are sanitizers. All basically are no rinse, where bleach would need to be rinsed off completely.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Last edited by Tony; 03-05-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #3
Mr. Mojo Rising

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So let me get this right. One Step is NOT a sanitizer. I ask this because I have seen it advertised as such. Buyer Beware?

Old 03-05-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some companies try to say it is a sanitizer, but in reality it is only a cleaner. Percarbonates do not act as a germicide and do not kill bacteria. You need Iodophor, Star San and the likes to kill bacteria. This is confusing to so may people because of advertising.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 03-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
kingjam
Recipes 

Do you have to rinse Iodophor, Star san off

Old 03-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjam
Do you have to rinse Iodophor, Star san off
No - not when mixed in their proper concentrations. It should say on the label how to use it. More is not better, either - just mix what it says, and it should be fine.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
Gedvondur

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Some companies try to say it is a sanitizer, but in reality it is only a cleaner. Percarbonates do not act as a germicide and do not kill bacteria. You need Iodophor, Star San and the likes to kill bacteria. This is confusing to so may people because of advertising.

Ummm....I hate to be a jerk about this but.......Hydrogen Peroxide certainly does act as an anti-bacteriological agent. It is a sanitizer.

From Wikipedia:

"Hydrogen peroxide is GRAS (Generally Recognised As Safe) as an antimicrobial agent, an oxidizing agent and more by the US Food and Drug Administration.[8] Hydrogen peroxide can also be used as a toothpaste when mixed with correct quantities of baking soda and salt.[9] Like benzoyl peroxide, hydrogen peroxide is also sometimes used in the treatment of acne."

You are simply wrong about One-Step. It is a sanitizer, as it releases hydrogen peroxide and soda ash and acts as a sanitizer. I'm not sure where the logic of claiming it isn't is coming from.

Gedvondur

Natural 20 Brewery

People Like This 
Old 03-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I've *heard* that One-Step is not marketed as a sanitizer solely because they would be held to much higher marketing standards if they make that claim.

With that said, I find Iodophor to be cheap and effective, to leave no flavor in the beer, and not only is no-rinse - it really doesn't need to be dried all that well, just get most of it out of the fermenter or off your gear. I remember One-Step being quite a bit more expensive, although I will confess that I may not have been using it at the proper dilution rate (it's been a while since I used it).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
Gedvondur

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I've *heard* that One-Step is not marketed as a sanitizer solely because they would be held to much higher marketing standards if they make that claim.

With that said, I find Iodophor to be cheap and effective, to leave no flavor in the beer, and not only is no-rinse - it really doesn't need to be dried all that well, just get most of it out of the fermenter or off your gear. I remember One-Step being quite a bit more expensive, although I will confess that I may not have been using it at the proper dilution rate (it's been a while since I used it).

I did a little research and a 16.9oz bottle of Iodophor runs about $7.95 and can make 169 gallons of sanitizer. That's using the recommended 1/10 of an ounce per gallon for a solution of 12.5 ppm.

To make the same amount of solution (169 gallons) with One-Step, (using One-Step's recommended dose) it would take 5.28 or so pounds of One-Step, at a cost of around $20.00. All prices are from Northern Brewer.

So the Iodophor is clearly a superior sanitizer in term of cost. It would seem it is superior in terms of time as well, as One-Step is a 2 minute contact time, and the Iodophor is a one minute contact time. Both are no-rinse.

Good call, the_bird!

Gedvondur

Natural 20 Brewery

Old 03-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 97

For giggles, you should do the calcs for Star-San as well. Gotta prep for a meeting or I'd do it myself...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply