*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > One Step cleans film - does StarSan??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
RumRiverBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default One Step cleans film - does StarSan??

I like One Step because of it's ability to sanitize AND clean the film on my bottles and kegs (must be there too). Thinking of switching to StarSan... Does it clean brew film as well as One Step? (I don't brush anything with One Step and I'm not going to start if needed with another sanitizer..)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2174 Times on 1555 Posts
Likes Given: 1199

What film are you talking about?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2735 Times on 1641 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

What's "brew film?" Never seen or heard of it.

If you mean the scale that often is left behind from oxyclean either reacting with hard water or simply the water in it evaporating and leaving some with crud behind the yes, starsan does a great job of removing it, probably better that that one-step crap. But any weak acid, like vinegar or lemon juice in water will as well.

And actually one step doesn't really sanitize...it's not FDA approved as a sanitizer, If you want to learn the truth about "one-crap" and read a lot of great info about the two most effective sanitizers we use, iodophor and starsan, including the links to podcasts read the thread below;

Sanitizer Question.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

When I bought my original kit 4 years ago (Midwest's Intermediate kit), it had a jar of that One Step in it. I was using it & bleach to sanitize, just to be on the safe side. By the time the One Step was exhausted, I'd read enough here to know what to do. Since then, it's been PBW to clean the internals of tubing and small parts, and carboys on the rare occasions I use them. I just use Dawn dishwashing detergent and a sponge to clean pots, bucket fermenters, etc. For sanitizing, it's Star San all the way.

The way I look at it, a cleaner is a cleaner, a sanitizer ditto. A cleaner is a product that removes soil from a surface. A sanitizer is a product that kills or renders inert microorganisms that might otherwise find an unwelcome home in our beer. While each MAY sometimes perform the function of the other, there are reasons why separate products are used.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
RumRiverBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Every batch, I bottle 1 or 2 clear Corona bottles to have visibility as the beer conditions, to see how things shape up. I normally consume these bottles last, so they can sit for up to 12 months (I'm not a slow drinker, I just brew a lot of beer ). The Corona bottles, being clear have a film in them after rinsing with water, and all sediment is rinsed out... Just soaking for 10 minutes in One Step cleans it out without any scrubbing, Nice.. I guess if you have brown bottles, you never notice!

Thanks for the info - I'll do more homework. I think I'll give starsan the same test and see if the bottles are as clear after soaking.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

My opinion, which I think is also the opinion of most others who hang out here, is that you should not have a film inside your bottles after drinking it and rinsing out with water.

I can see perfectly well through my bottles after rinsing, and I almost always peek in there after rinsing to make sure the sediment is gone. I've never seen it.

But back to the topic: I recommend soaking your bottles in Oxiclean, or maybe One-step (I haven't used that stuff since the 90s. Or maybe it was B-Brite, I don't remember).

Then rinse with star san. (Or Iodophor). As has been said, One-step is not considered a sanitizer by the FDA. That doesn't mean it doesn't kill stuff, but why would you use that over something that is recognized as a killer?

The nice thing about StarSan is that it's a NO-RINSE sanitizer, so you just make sure everything is covered and let it drain out. It's fine to leave a film of sanitizer on it as you rack or bottle. Plus, you can mix it up with distilled water and store in jugs. Then use a spray bottle to apply, and just fill the spray bottle as needed. You use MUCH less this way and it's super convenient!

However you look at it, there must be a reason your bottles have a film in them after rinsing. I'd troubleshoot that. Although I have a feeling that a short soak in hot Oxiclean before using will remove whatever it is.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What is the recommended dose of starsan to water? I was looking at my starsan bottle last night and that section has been worn off. I thought it was one ounce to 5 gals, is that correct?

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2735 Times on 1641 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
What is the recommended dose of starsan to water? I was looking at my starsan bottle last night and that section has been worn off. I thought it was one ounce to 5 gals, is that correct?
Yes....1 oz/5 gallons.

But you don't need to make up 5 gallons- that's another of the cost benefits of it. You can make up a gallon or so to sanitize everything. I tend to make about 2 gallons on any brew or bottling day.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
Yep.

I have 3-QT jugs from Wamart that I use to store it. I fill halfway with distilled water and add 1/4 ounce from the measuring thingy. That equates to being stronger than necessary, but at least I know I'm safe and can store for a long time and even reuse if I have to pour some into a container.

Honestly, I mix a few batches a year this way. The spray bottle really works nice.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
My opinion, which I think is also the opinion of most others who hang out here, is that you should not have a film inside your bottles after drinking it and rinsing out with water.

I can see perfectly well through my bottles after rinsing, and I almost always peek in there after rinsing to make sure the sediment is gone. I've never seen it.

But back to the topic: I recommend soaking your bottles in Oxiclean, or maybe One-step (I haven't used that stuff since the 90s. Or maybe it was B-Brite, I don't remember).

Then rinse with star san. (Or Iodophor). As has been said, One-step is not considered a sanitizer by the FDA. That doesn't mean it doesn't kill stuff, but why would you use that over something that is recognized as a killer?

The nice thing about StarSan is that it's a NO-RINSE sanitizer, so you just make sure everything is covered and let it drain out. It's fine to leave a film of sanitizer on it as you rack or bottle. Plus, you can mix it up with distilled water and store in jugs. Then use a spray bottle to apply, and just fill the spray bottle as needed. You use MUCH less this way and it's super convenient!

However you look at it, there must be a reason your bottles have a film in them after rinsing. I'd troubleshoot that. Although I have a feeling that a short soak in hot Oxiclean before using will remove whatever it is.
No- a simple rinse won't leave a film. And if you're using softened water with Oxi-Clean, you'll be fine. But a soak in heated hard water (our well water is a perfect example as it's loaded with calcium and iron) will leave a white film on bottles if they're soaked in Oxi-Clean. This is why for label removal or etc. I use PBW. PBW contains chelators that take those minerals out of circulation. Star San is an excellent way to get rid of that film, but a lot of other acids would do the same; I suspect white vinegar would be the easiest and cheapest common acid that would work.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply