Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > One Step caused Off Flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
efreem01
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default One Step caused Off Flavor?

Hey,

I recently switched to One Step sanitizer when i ran out of C-Brite and bleach is just the bane of my homebrewing existence. For my first use, i transferred my continental pilsner to secondary. On bottling day, i used the one-step to sanitize everything from the autosiphon to my bottling bucket and everything in between. I took a paper towel and dipped it in sanitizer then wiped down the whole inside of the bottling bucket. After that, within 15 minutes i bottled. I think there was still a decent accumulation of sanitizer on everything but figured it was a no-rinse solution so went with it.

Within one week of bottling a continental pilsner, it had a taste that i can only describe as salty and the texture was all wrong. I couldn't possibly find the words to describe it, but it tasted somewhat like one-step smells when you get it on your hands. Has anyone else had an issue with one-step?

Now i changed my procedure and yesterday, i dipped all of my bottles in sanitizer and let them dry on the bottle tree for over 2 hours to ensure they were dry (and introduce bacteria) We'll see how the double IPA comes out in two weeks.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry to hear that. I use PBW or Oxiclean for cleaning and Starsan for all my sanitizing. Starsan rocks and has never affected my beer even when I rack on a bucket full of bubbles and the sides still wet. In fact, what's there just dilutes and becomes food for the yeast.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Otis The Drunk
Recipes 

Funny, I've used 1 step for years and never had an off flavor, but then again I rinse after use.

Currently in Primary: zip
Currently in Secondary: Dry Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Not a Thing
Drinking: Run of the mill Pale Ale
What's Next: Lake Walk Pale Ale

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished

Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

I only use one step and never rinse and never had a problem. I never heard of applying it with a paper towel before, though. I just mix up a gallon (1 tablespoon per gallon of warm water) and use it. I put some in a spray bottle and spray the items that I can't dunk in it. I mix it up in the primary bucket (or bottling bucket) and shake it around alot with the lid on to get all the surfaces. I pour it through the siphon and tubing and make sure everything is coated well. I don't let it dry much, but it is fairly dry by the time I siphon into the bucket and then bottle.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
gman
Recipes 

I'm with YooperChick on this one. I've only used bleach (yeck) and one-step, and I dry my stuff (especially at bottling) for about 2 minutes before I go ahead and use it. I do however make absolutely sure that all the granules are dissolved before I go ahead and call it "ready to use".

I've also never done the paper towel thing. I just run everything through my autosiphon (for the hoses) and all my gear. I also shake the heck out of the carboy and use a soft brush (carboy brush) to spread the liquid around.

The only "off-flavor" I've had so far (4 batches only, so not much, but hey) is LME twang.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis The Drunk
Funny, I've used 1 step for years and never had an off flavor, but then again I rinse after use.
Then you are using 2 Step.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

rinsing One-step is like taking a sterile syringe and dipping it in mud before use. DON'T DO IT.

I used One-step 8 years ago when I quit brewing, and I started back up brewing with one-step this time, though I've added star-san to my arsenal now.
never had a single problem with one-step and off flavors, and I never rinse it.
my 1st batch back into brewing is just hitting 3 weeks in the bottle, and it was entirely one-step sanitized, including bottles, bottle bucket, filler hose and bottle filler wand.
tastes great, no off flavor or texture.

if you had actual granuals of one-step in your bucket or bottles that hadn't dissolved (and thus didn't pour off when you were done sanitizing...) I could see it.

Also, one-step needs a couple minutes of actual contact time. so the paper towel trick would require probably 3 wipings, 60 seconds apart.
I usually just make 3 gallons of solution, put the lid on, and shake it a few times. then i pour it to another bucket for sanitizing everythign else, and put the lid back on to keep the primary (or bottle bucket) from acquiring any wild spores.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
efreem01

Recipes 

I'm not sure why this no-rinse sanitizer threw off the flavor of my beer. But on the bright side, that first bottle at 1 week tasted like one-step and butt. At 3 weeks, the sanitizer taste seems to have mellowed a little. It's definitely more drinkable. This whole ordeal caused me to jump on AHS and purchase the 33oz of Iodophor.

I don't want to stir up that can of worms again, but if everyone is raving about Starsan so much, maybe i'll move from Iodophor to Starsan when i run out.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

Old 07-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by efreem01
I'm not sure why this no-rinse sanitizer threw off the flavor of my beer.
I generally use one step, don't rinse and have used carboys while still plenty wet with one step..no off flavor issues. Unless you had undissolved granules or a large amount of solution mixed with your beer, I would keep looking for your off flavor issue.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
Hopleaf

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Once my Iodophor is gone I'm moving to StarSan. `Oxyclean Free` tub from costco to clean

* Kolsch
* Apfelwein batch #lots

Quick Reply