Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > One Step?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Simphoto02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default One Step?

I know the other cleaners & sanitizers have been out longer.

I started using onestep and PERSONALLY love it. I have been using it as both a cleaner and a sanitizer with NO (knock on wood) infections.

Question is have I been using it correctly as a sanitizer or have I been just lucky? I am loving the no rinse part and no bleach smell.

Now that it can be purchased in larger quantities I am really liking it.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is "technically" not a sanitizer but a cleaning agent. I say technically because I used to use One-Step without any problems in the past regarding infections. That being said, you might as well make the switch over to StarSan. This IS a sanitizing agent and will ensure that your equipment is properly sanitized to reduce the risk of infections. There are tons of posts on here regarding StarSan vs. One-Step, but in general, it is better to play it safe than sorry. StarSan is also a no rinse sanitizer and the foam from the sanitizer is actually able to be used by your yeast as a form of nutrient, so all-in-all, StarSan is an awesome product that I would recommend to all brewers.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
theguy
Recipes 

I also only use OneStep and haven't had any issues (so far). I just make sure to clean everything very thoroughly in the OneStep solution. My only comlaint is that my plastic tubing got a little discolored from cleaning with it.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My biggest beef with OneStep was the slimyness of the water. It had a very slick feel to it and sometimes left residue in my tubing and buckets. Yes, the proper dillution was used... Not sure why it was like that, but it wasn't a big deal. I just think that if you're going to spend money on a sanitizer, you might as well get one that is actually FDA approved as a sanitizing agent, not just a cleaner. That's what Oxyclean is for! ;-)

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
theguy
Recipes 

Your are right that it has slippery and leaves that residue. So is Oxyclean considered a sanitizer in the same manner as Starsan? Sorry to change the subject of the thread....

Old 06-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

I've been using one-step as a sanitizer for three years now, god knows how many batches (probably on the order of 400 gallons) and never had an unintended contamination. I have been using it because it is cheap and easy...that being said, I will probably switch to star-san now that I have a job.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nope. Oxyclean is just a cleaning agent just like OneStep. I now use Oxyclean for "cleaning" my equipment and StarSan for sanitizing my equipment.

-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
theguy
Recipes 

noob question...why do you need to use both? Couldn't you just use the sanitizer of choice instead of adding the extra step of the cleaner?

Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
theguy
Recipes 

BTW Rsmith..I noticed that you are from Cleveland...Love that Great Lakes Beer...

Old 06-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith179 View Post
Nope. Oxyclean is just a cleaning agent just like OneStep.
Onestep and oxyclean ARE NOT the same thing.....Oxyclean is sodium percarbonate....though you are right that onestep is NOT a true sanitizer.

if you want some info about Onestep, and why many of us don't recommend it, especially in light of REAL FDA approved sanitizers that are available and reusable, check out this thread....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...tizer+question

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply