Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > One Burner to Rule them all.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default One Burner to Rule them all.

ok I currently have the 23 tip flame throwing NG Jet burner. I don't get scorching or soot on the bottom of my keggle, but its pretty much on or off nothing in between. I have been toying with the idea of buying 3 more burners for my brew stand.

here's the catch... I currently brew with Natural gas at home and don't desire to use propane tanks for my goto rig, but I would like to be able to take my rig off site for some LHBS parking lot brewing. there is also a chance I'll be moving to Texas and I am not sure if i'll have NG or low pressure propane, would an NG setup work for low pressure propane.

so I'd like to be able to use: NG, LP, and low pressure propane if at all possible.

would having a larger orifice for NG work if I just added a regulator with Propane tank?

also looking at the agrisupply BG-14 http://www.agrisupply.com/bg-high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-/p/64494/cn/5400000/
and this valve to use for NG http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE_CONVERSION_VALVE_P2214C87.cfm

any other burners I should be aware of?

-=Jason=-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Flomaster
Recipes 

*bump*

in the market for a new burner and stand seeing how my JET burner melted my turkey fryer stand and now I can't brew until I make a new stand and I figure I might as well get a new burner.

right now I brew with NG at my house.

I will most likely be moving to Texas in a few months. not sure if the new house will be NG or Propane.

I do not wish use propane bottles for my main source of fuel, but would like to make a portable setup so that I CAN hook up propane bottle and brew off site.

is there a burner out there that can accommodate both High Pressure and Low Pressure.

is it just switching out an orifice, or more complicated?

-=Jason=-

Old 03-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Flomaster
Recipes 

*cough*

I'd like to hear from anyone using a BG-Styler burner on Natural Gas. what is your setup for Natural gas and can it be used for Propane as well?

-=Jason=-

Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm no expert, but I think in general changing from one type of gas to another is an issue of changing out orifices. Most of the info I find with a quick google is related to changing propane grills over to natural gas, and one of the common issues there is with the control knobs (as there is a small hole that is metered by the knob, so if you don't make that hole bigger, you can't turn the gas 'up' as far).

So, that may be an issue for you as well (though if you are using an adjustable regulator, like I've got on my turkey burner, and you replace with an adjustable regulator, you'd have your control there.

It sounds like, to be honest, switching back and forth might be a PIA. It might be more reasonable to make your burner/hose assembly easy to remove, and have a dedicated propane burner. Or, make a brew stand that works with a turkey burner and use that for travelling brewing, while your home unit uses your current burner and runs on NG.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Flomaster
Recipes 

from what I gather I can buy the High Pressure BG14 and put a orifice from williamsbrewing

so it looks like all I have to do is:

a.buy the burner from agrisupply.com
b.buy this valve orifice http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-NATURAL-GAS-CONVERSION-VALVE-P2214.aspx

should i wish to use this with propane I'd just remove the special valve and put the stock oriface back on and hook up to propane tank.

-=Jason=-

Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The basic requirement is to make it so that you can change out the orifice on the burner relatively quickly. That means no hard piping between where the gas hits the stand to the burner itself. I'd probably grind the threads off the burner side of the orifice so that it could just slide into the burner and rely on some method of holding them in place elsewhere. Where it connects to the manifold, I'd use air-hose quick disconnects. That way the propane and nat gas orifices are pop in/pop out. Simple in theory, maybe less so in practice. If you have a main pipe on a manifold held to the stand with U-bolts, you could make it pivot at that point. In other words, rotating the whole manifold away from the burners would disengage the orifices from the burners. Change them out, rotate it back and secure the U-bolts tight.

I'd skip the conversion valves and just get extra sets of stock orifices and drill them out little by little. You'll want individual valves anyway if you hook up to propane.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Flomaster
Recipes 

I like the idea of that, you don't think the smooth orifice going into the burners threaded body would pose a problem with gas trying to escape out the threads?

but I wouldn't be changing things around every brew session so even if I had to remove a burner and change the orifice out that wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.

-=Jason=-

Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
from what I gather I can buy the High Pressure BG14 and put a orifice from williamsbrewing

so it looks like all I have to do is:

a.buy the burner from agrisupply.com
b.buy this valve orifice http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-NATURAL-GAS-CONVERSION-VALVE-P2214.aspx

should i wish to use this with propane I'd just remove the special valve and put the stock oriface back on and hook up to propane tank.

-=Jason=-
Other than not knowing if that burner is the same one that the valve is meant to work with (I assume you've made that determination), it looks like what you'd need is the NG and the LPG valve assemblies, which apparently have their 'orifice' on the end that screws into the burner (nice). Then whatever hoses and regulators are needed to connect the valve to its respective gas source (I don't know what you've got to hook up your current NG bas burner, but the propane setup should consist of a hose and regulator, and that will screw onto your standard BBQ tank).

It actually sounds pretty easy, the only issue I can see is with the valve screwing into the burner, this is probably not meant to be screwed in and out all the time, and the instructions may call for teflon tape on the threads. But that shouldn't be a big deal if you aren't switching back and forth like, every week...and maybe not even if you are.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
wlffmnnn
Recipes 

I just bought one of the blichmann burners and converted it to natural gas with an orifice change from Williams. I also went to lowes and bought a 10' natural gas grill hose and hooked it to the outside gas pipe on my patio. As a plumber, I will tell you that you do want to switch orifices if you switch fuel sources. Though they might work, you take a huge risk in causing a fire or personal injury.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
Flomaster
Recipes 

Wlffmnn, care to expand on how changing the orifice for the proper fuel source could cause fire or personal injury?

if your orifice is small and meant for Propane then these match up, if you try and use NG which is low pressure with a small orifice you will not get proper BTU output and very poor fire.

now switching to a NG orifice like you have done and using NG source you get a matched fuel source?

what I want to do is use the same burner for NG at home, and switch it out when I take my setup off site and use propane. is this not safe is so why?

-=Jason=-

Quick Reply