Old chemical tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerRef

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
alright so looking for opinions.thoughts etc

there is an auction upcoming in my area this week that has 100's of stainless tanks/kettles and random other stainless stuff.. i was really excited when I saw it listed until I realized its from an old chemical processing plant... now my first reaction is this would be no good for brewing/fermenting or anything to do with anything consumable... but is this true since its stainless?

Could this be alright to used since stainless doesnt absorb ?

thanks in advance for the feedback

For me, without knowing the chemicals, I wouldn't take the chance even if stainless steel should not absorb anything. Some chemicals can kill you in parts per trillion!!!

I would imagine that if a tank is for h20 only it would be labeled though. Other than that I likely wouldn't mess with it unless you know what you are getting.

For me, without knowing the chemicals, I wouldn't take the chance even if stainless steel should not absorb anything. Some chemicals can kill you in parts per trillion!!!

+ 1

that was my thought as well. Just figured I would reassure myself that it wasn't worth heading to the auction :)

Good choice IMO.

Cheers :mug:

Since they are getting sold at a public auction and not being sent to Yuma Mountain I'd assume they didn't hold radioactive material or cyanide. Definitely double check what they did hold but I would bet the contents were pretty benign.

––––––––––––––––––––––
TIG Welded Brewing Eq
www.spikebrewing.com

Just lick them and see what they taste like.

Joke. Don't do that. I agree that calling the auction house and finding a way to contact the seller will get you the answers you are looking for.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

If Kodak was the last to use them I'd be pretty sure they would be pretty clean. ( PRETTY SURE ? ).. Look for pitting or caked on gunk.

This is a link to MSDS info for all the Kodak chemicals used.. Most are benign (acids, very soluble salts and the like) and clean up with just water, however there are a few that may be questionable. This goes only for glass or stainless steel, anything other I would not touch at all.

Hope this helps

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=4648

bosco

Latest posts

Back