The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Old Barrels for Large Volume System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Ruy Lopez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Old Barrels for Large Volume System

My friends and I recently acquired 3 55 gallon food-grade barrels. They were originally used to store juice concentrate. (I'm assuming steel or stainless?) They are in good shape. Our intention is to build a large volume brew system.

Any thoughts on potential health hazards from heating these barrels? My knowledge of metals is minimal, but isn’t lead a component of steel to some quantity? Is that quantity minimal in food-grade metals?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

No worries with lead - it's not a component of steel.

I doubt you got 3 stainless barrels of that size, but it's possible. Do the magnet test. If a magnet is strongly attracted to the barrel, it's a plain old carbon/mild steel alloy. If there is weak or no attraction, it's possible that you have stainless on your hands.

Here's the real problem - the barrels are probably painted on the outside and coated on the inside. Heating them, especially with a flame source, will burn the paint on the outside (toxic fumes), and likely degrade the coating on the inside. If the coating on the inside makes its way into your beer, you'll have terrible off flavors and possibly some health concerns.

Sorry...I think I just took the wind out of your sails. Post some pictures and do a little research - maybe they'll be useful for something...

Old 10-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
Ruy Lopez
Recipes 

You're right. The barrels are painted on the outside and coated on the inside. Couldn't this be removed? Sand blasting maybe?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

It could be removed, but then your barrels will rust (I'm pretty firmly convinced that they're not stainless). I think you're better off using them for grain storage and brewing in something else.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
Ruy Lopez
Recipes 

You're right. They're not stainless. Magnet sticks easily.

They are in great shape, though. At this point, I'm thinking one could be used to mash (simple infusion, no heat of course) or to ferment.

Hell, we can't be too disappointed. They were free after all.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

how's about a huge mash lauter tun (steam heated) and a matching fermenter? You'd need a team of people to boil all that brew, but it'd last a LONG time! Think how much yeast would settle out, it'd fill a bucket

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make one a MLT(single infusion, like the coolers) and one a fermenter, sell the third for scrap to get something that will heat 50gallons of water. Do 50gallons brews!

Quick Reply