Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ok, tell me why I shouldn't buy one of these...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
dunnright00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Ok, tell me why I shouldn't buy one of these...

Big Aluminum pots, probably really weak handles, but $10 for a 10 gallon pot?!?
$24 for a 13 gallon pot?!? Looks like a good deal to me, until I can afford to get a keggle set-up

Edit: I meant $20 for the 10 gal...

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
xeno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Can 0 dabate

Now ya done opened the debate can. Some people believe there is a link to aluminum pots and Alzheimers. Which makes some kind of sense, but there are plenty of notes and studies that say otherwise. So I would say use it. I did for a while... here's the deal:

When people saw me using my pot, the same pot that I had created them hundreds of batches of tasty beer, they freaked out. Yep, freakout out so much I stopped using my trusty old 10 gallon. But hey they make a killer HLT though.

If you use one, stay in the closet.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You mean $20 for the 10 gallon, right??

I would check the thickness of them. If they're not 4mm thick (wall) then I'd pass. Also check to see how strong the handles are, and are held onto the sides.

Do you have a way to get that much wort up to a boil?

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you're not carrying it around full of liquid, and you're sure you can boil that much volume, why not. Just temporary, don't expect it to last long, and definitely vigorously boil water in it for a good half hour before first use. Never clean it with oxy clean or put star-san in it. LEave that discolored oxide layer on it, just clean with hot water and a mild scrubbie. Aluminum is fine, but again, those pots aren't made to last. But for $20?? Save your pennies in the meantime though.

My first kettles were 8g aluminum from instawares.com for about $30something shipped. Still use one for the HLT. 4mm thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
dipdop Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
dunnright00
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You mean $20 for the 10 gallon, right??

I would check the thickness of them. If they're not 4mm thick (wall) then I'd pass. Also check to see how strong the handles are, and are held onto the sides.

Do you have a way to get that much wort up to a boil?
Yeah, I meant $20 for the 10 gal...

I have a 32qt turkey fryer right now that I;m looking to turn into a HLT. I do plan on getting a better burner soon, but for 6 gal batches this works for now.

I do plan on adding a ball valve (on whichever one I end up getting), so I won't be lifting it too much while it's full.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

IF it's 4mm thick walls, then it should last a good long time. The better ones are made for use in restaurants where they're getting the snot beat out of them on a daily basis.

I agree that you'll need to boil as much water in it as possible, before you use it for the first time. This will build up the oxide (aluminum oxide) layer that will be a barrier between the aluminum pot and your wort. Leave it intact and all will be very well.

BTW, I used an aluminum kettle (converted the pot into a kettle myself) that was 4mm thick walls. I've moved on to bigger, and brighter (stainless) things (keggles) but my brew-buddy is still using it. I expect it to last for many years, and hundreds (if not more) of batches.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
dunnright00
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno View Post
Now ya done opened the debate can. Some people believe there is a link to aluminum pots and Alzheimers. Which makes some kind of sense, but there are plenty of notes and studies that say otherwise. So I would say use it. I did for a while... here's the deal:

When people saw me using my pot, the same pot that I had created them hundreds of batches of tasty beer, they freaked out. Yep, freakout out so much I stopped using my trusty old 10 gallon. But hey they make a killer HLT though.

If you use one, stay in the closet.
Yeah, I've heard the debate and I figure some will come here and present this argument. I'm not too worried about it for a temporary solution though...

Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
Yeah, I've heard the debate and I figure some will come here and present this argument. I'm not too worried about it for a temporary solution though...
IF it's a well made pot, it could be about as temporary as life. If it's cheaply made, then I'd pass. Would seriously suck to have it fail during a brew-day.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
xeno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
Mine was supposed to be temporary too. LOL. I had it for 5 years. Worked great then one day.... people. Can't change perception and it became a huge issue among my supposed beer following. But in reality Brewing on a temp system is BETTER than brewing on NO system. I live out west so I have seen those pans in the latino marts they seem ok.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Do a quick search for tamale pot and see what comes up.
There is a thread that was started in the last couple days by someone using one of those pots. Others chimed in.
The pot warps, bows and dances on the stove because it's not well made, or not made well for the use that you want to do.
Probably made very well for what it's sold as.
There is a reason it's so cheap. It does the job of boiling a small amount of water to steam those awesome little tamale's great, but based on reports of guys using them it doesn't hold up to the heat of a heavy boil for extended periods of time.

Found the thread!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/dancing-tamale-pot-368679/

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Quick Reply