Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ok, I'm not just being paranoid about infections...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
cheeseshark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Ok, I'm not just being paranoid about infections...

A couple of months ago, I posted a thread about how I felt some of my batches were turning a bit sour after about 2 months in bottles.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/turning-twangy-79139/

I kind of decided that I was just being paranoid, and carried on. The only thing different I did was switch to Starsan instead of OneStep for sanitizer. I have always used Oxyclean as a cleaner.

Well, I am obviously still doing something wrong. Here's why:
1. An IPA I made, again after about two months in the bottle, all the bottles turned into quasi-gushers (I say quasi b/c, when you would uncap them, they wouldn't just spurt out, after about 30 seconds, they would slowly foam over - tasted fine, though).

2. I made a ginger flavored amber that tasted great coming out the secondary, but after bottle conditioning, tasted distinctly smoky instead of gingery. I read in a book (Homebrew's Answer Book, Ashton Lewis) that unexpected smoky flavors are likely from wild yeast in air). Also, I made this recipe before, and there was no smoky taste.

3. I racked my first all grain batch into the secondary last week. After racking, I noticed some unexpected activity. No airlock activity, but a lot of moving around inside carboy and some foaming. The foaming keeps stopping and reappearing. Now, there are some spider looking things encrusted on the carboy (see picture below).

I have read a ton of threads related to infections, and one of the main answers seems to be replace my tubing. Anything else I should consider? Should I replaced my airlocks/bungs, bottling bucket, bottling wand, and spigot, too? I assume my glass carboys are ok, or am I wrong?

BTW, I just upgraded to Premium, I figured it was about time with all the information I have been getting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Switching from onestep and replacing all your tubing are good things...also take apart any spigots you have and clean them thoroughly (bottling bucket and things like that.)

Or replace them....same with the autosiphon and bottling wand...you should at least take them apart and clean throoughly or replace them as well.

Make sure there are no scratches on any plastic that touches your beer (bottling bucket and fermenters) they can harbor, and the sanitizer won't be enough.

Racking to secondary will normally kick up some fermentation, so that just might be a wee bit of fermentation in the neck of your carboy...it's hard to tell in the pic...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
cheeseshark
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This picture might be a bit more illustrative. I should add that I found this weird, dark brown, flat stuff in the trub when I racked the all grain batch. The weird stuff looked like a bunch of tiny beads.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
slimer

Recipes 

Since you said that it was AG, maybe it was proteins.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

How are you bottling, are you going straight from your spigot, tubing, raking cane or a bottle filler?

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

The close up doesn't look like an infection just CO2 bubbles with some lacing on the neck.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 11-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
cheeseshark
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
How are you bottling, are you going straight from your spigot, tubing, raking cane or a bottle filler?
Spigot to tube to bottling wand.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseshark View Post
This picture might be a bit more illustrative. I should add that I found this weird, dark brown, flat stuff in the trub when I racked the all grain batch. The weird stuff looked like a bunch of tiny beads.

That looks like a combination of starsan bubbles and the stuff on the neck looks like dried krauzen after the small fermentation occrued and it fell....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseshark View Post

Wow!!! That thing is full. Hopefully you won't have a overly violent fermentation.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

I believe he said it's his secondary.....

Quick Reply