Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oak Barrel Score!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #31
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Cool, thanks Revvy. Does it need to be full or have just enough to create humidity inside the barrel?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #32
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Great stuff Revvy! I got a hold of one from the Balcones shipment to New Orleans. A batch is on the wood as we type.

Another question. I understand the oak and bourbon character fades with each batch. How many batches do you get from of a fresh barrel?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #33
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfgonzo View Post
Revvy, that was a coin operated washer... Do you always drive to the laundromat to rack your beers?
For a minute there, I thought he was going to tell us about a new secret agitation process he uses during racking. I was about to go looking for an old washing machine on CL to start my agitation DIY build.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery
Revvy Likes This 
Old 07-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #34
wineoakbarrel
Recipes 

the barrel of the picture is made in Mexico?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #35
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineoakbarrel View Post
the barrel of the picture is made in Mexico?
I don't know. The distillery that decommisioned them is in Texas. So I guess it's a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventures in Homebrewing Website

From the distiller:

I'm a long-time home brewer and the head distiller at Balcones Distillery here in Texas . Hope this is cool to do this on the forum, but I wanted to make it known that we a greater than normal quantity of recently dumped 20 liter whiskey barrels available for sale. With this summer being as hot as it's been, I'd hate to see them dry out waiting for homes. These are great barrels for homebrewers not only because of their size, but because they come pretty much sterile and were leak free when they were dumped. Because they're used, you don't have to worry about over-oaking your beer like you would with a new barrel.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #36
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Hold on. Are you saying you might be converting to kegging soon??
I for one am excited. I can't wait for his quick replies to the zillions of people that over/undercarbed their kegs and then post asking how to fix it:

"Two weeks at serving pressure and temperature is the MINIMUM required for carbonation. I had a barley wine that once took a full 3 weeks to carbonate!"

edit: spelling

Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #37
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post

I had a barely wine that once took a full 3 weeks to carbonate!"

Meh, somethings I don't believe should be kegged, and barleywines are one of them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply